• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Time Adjustment (appreciating Values) Using Total

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeSpool

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Massachusetts
Using Total software. Need to reflect appreciating market. Looking for an easy, accurate way to have the software do the calculation. Tried tech support, no answer yet.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
How is it supposed to do that?

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Is it really that difficult to key in the applicable adjustment for 3 - 6 comps?

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Is it really that difficult to key in the applicable adjustment for 3 - 6 comps?

No. It's the calculating. And having data to calculate with that's the rub. :shrug:

I use Trendsheet 4 to calculate, and input MLS data from my search parameters, and scrub it.
I think it, or maybe a newer version, is in the Total store. :peace:

Howard Klahr

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Lee, I wasn't noting your comment but rather the OP. If what they are seeking is how to identify the time adjustment, the form software is the wrong tool from the toolbox

BarrySW1963

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Texas
You didn't ask, but I'm going to comment anyhow with words of caution.

Garbage in, garbage out.

For market timing adjustments, you need sufficient data. If you have limited data, the sales used to support the adjustment better be exceptionally similar between comparison periods, or any automated program (or superficial approach) you use will likely give misleading results. I think it was Marion (??) who once pointed out that we don't usually use 1004MC sales on the grid without at least some adjustments, so to use that tabulated/calculated data as presented in the 1004MC for the sole basis of market-timing adjustments can be problematic, especially when the amount of data is limited because truly comparable sales are usually limited, except in very large, homogeneous housing stock PUDs with significant market activity. (If that was someone else, or I'm just making that up entirely, please correct the record).

So, I would not let Total do anything of the sort for a market-timing adjustment, unless/until I can/could feed Total a very carefully scrubbed dataset on which to base the calculations.

FWIW, I use excel. I am concerned about the rise of applications or "tools" that remove the user from knowing the principles of the underlying analysis. By the time I have set appropriate search parameters, scrubbed the results for bad data, outliers, etc., and picked through what is left for reasonableness, the time to pop it into excel and run a few calculations is negligible by comparison.

I would like, however, to hear more about Trend Sheet 4, even though it looks just like what I can do in excel ... maybe something that actually follows reasonable data analysis principles, with more efficient data importing and formatting?

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Trendsheet integrates with Total as a worksheet, which is nice. See youtube for videos.

MoJo

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Lee, I wasn't noting your comment but rather the OP. If what they are seeking is how to identify the time adjustment, the form software is the wrong tool from the toolbox
The OP is not seeking how to identify the time adjustment. The OP clearly stated he/she is seeking accurate way to have the software do the calculation which can be easily accomplished with tables in Total.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
The OP clearly stated he/she is seeking accurate way to have the software do the calculation which can be easily accomplished with tables in Total.

Pray tell, how does that work? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks