• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Time to hit the pavement

Status
Not open for further replies.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Business is slow so I need to reintroduce myself to local banks, brokers and credit unions. What do you bring besides your hat in hand? List of coverage areas and fees, resume & license, and/or a newsletter?

I have not had to do this since before 9/11. Most of my formerly loyal banks and brokers now use out of county/state skippies 99% of the time. How do I get back in without selling my soul?

Josh Shapiro

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Good luck. Even the LOCAL banks and credit unions are all going to the AMC's. Stick with the local brokers. Yes you have to deal with the BS but 2-3 full fee jobs a week supplemented with a few AMC jobs will keep you going for now.....Face to face is your best bet.

Queen City Gurl

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I've been pounding the pavement for the last 2 years... with nada results ! I have never been in this situation before. There is no getting on any lists these last 2 years..... if you weren't on an AMC list, willing to work for their fees 2 years ago.... there's no getting on any now !

Last week I hit about 15 mtge brokers offices. The month before.... lawyers offices.

I've also tried the non lender arena, and that's been a tough nut to crack also. It's pretty dire out there. I'm not having any luck. But good luck to you !

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
The thing that gets me is local lenders bringing in skippies from out of state to hit the number. What ever happened to shop local?

OK I trimmed down my resume to half a page of highlights and added services and coverage area on the bottom half. I am going to be emphasizing the fact that I am not on any Do Not Use lists and write reports that pass todays higher underwriting standards.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

RitaB

Professional Status
General Public
State
California
He there-just curious if you had any success yet?

Margaret Treat

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Hi OSU beavers,
I am supposed to be working on marketing right now, if I wasn't goofing off on the forum:new_smile-l:

I have a newsletter I send out periodically. It is nothing fancy but it is a great way to connect and stay connected. I can send you a copy and you can cut and paste and make it fit your area if you'd like.

I have tried the going into the office thing without much luck. I used to take a day and plot out banks/mortgage companies and go to as many as I could. The problem for me is that I met lots of great office assistants but to meet face to face with a LO that needs a new or back up appraiser is dicey since many aren't at the desk all day. I had more luck with the prepared letter; followed by a call then a visit if I thought there was interest. I also tried the coupon thing for a discount on the first order; I think one or two coupons were used out of hundreds mailed.

Good Luck! Margaret

RitaB

Professional Status
General Public
State
California
LOs

Hi Margaret,

Our office doesn't do mortgage origination appraisals at the moment but I think you might have more success visiting LOs in the late afternoon or early evening. They tend to start their day later than most and often work til 8pm.

Would you send me a copy of your newsletter to look at? If so, here's my email address.

[email protected]

LadybugLover

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
When we first started our business way back when, my husband hit the pavement with his resume and business cards. He went into every office on the main drag through town that looked like it even remotely would be in the financial sector. He was successful in picking up two of three clients that we still have today - August was our slowest month but still hit five figures, Sept was better and Oct. is starting out like the good ol days. We have a variety of clients and that has kept us going. Everytime the phone rings with someone wanting an appraisal, we try to engage them in conversation, let them know who we are and what we do, 9 times out of 10, we get the order for our fee and no hassles. The work is out there folks, you just have to find it! We have three appraisers in our office and all of us are booked full through next week - it's Saturday, an yes, we're at the office cranking out work..... rather be at home quilting or something fun..... Actually I'm completing two packets for two new clients who have been bugging me to get our information back to them so they can send orders, but hubby is writing up a report - so don't dispair, it's out there - And NO, we aren't skippies, and we don't do cut rate appraisals!

Mary

Kevin A. Spellman

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Josh in the event the HVCC does become a requirement. All the appraisers in America will become an AMC shop and then we will all hate each other. So just align yourself with other appraisers in the same service area and become a local AMC and you can beat the national AMCs.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
He there-just curious if you had any success yet?

I got one order from a local lender but the buyer backed out of the sale before I inspected.

I heard a lot of complaints about the appraisers they currently use such as: on BoAs do not use list, only shows up on Tuesdays, forgot appointment last Tuesday so the borrower had to wait a week for hom to come back out, too old for FHA and does not inspect the attic or crawlspace, asks borrower to help measure the house and sloppy reports.

Of course they still get the work because they: are drinking buddies with the bank president, never call for repair requirements and always match the sales price. Yes the LOs told me that to my face. HVCC can't come soon enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks