• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Title Report and Legal Description

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee in L.A.

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Most of mine are in the format of:
Tract 1234, Lot 13, Map Book 456, Pages 78 - 89.
No need to wait on a prelim or survey or any of that.
Thank God for small favors. :peace:

GregoryK

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Most deeds I see in Middle Tennessee don't have a legal description per se, but refer to the chain of title. It is a little frustrating if you need dimensions. I have a subscription to titlesearcher, so that I can actually get recorded copies of a survey if it exists; or follow the chain of title to a deed with the metes and bounds legal description. But for most jobs, I stick a copy of the latest deed from CRS in the addenda and done. Let them follow the chain of title if they want a metes and bounds description.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Most deeds I see in Middle Tennessee don't have a legal description per se, but refer to the chain of title. It is a little frustrating if you need dimensions. I have a subscription to titlesearcher, so that I can actually get recorded copies of a survey if it exists; or follow the chain of title to a deed with the metes and bounds legal description. But for most jobs, I stick a copy of the latest deed from CRS in the addenda and done. Let them follow the chain of title if they want a metes and bounds description.
Interesting. I feel privileged having such good County GIS. The five county Charlotte MSA(spprx) Ranked as follows

1. Mecklenburg - By far top notch. I can get just every thing I need. Link to the following; Deed, Flood Map, Zoning, Sale Price by year of individual parcels etc etc
2. Gaston is not to bad, but unlike Mecklenburg they don't link to Registrar of Deed, or flood mapping But they do let you see sale by year in the Hood for different sites.
3. Lincoln not bad, Rural County and they have something that is super important They have county wide water BUT not everyone has it on there road. So there county water line map is easy to use.
Cabarrus - Pretty good
Union - Good but not terrific You have to do web page searching yourself for other needs, but I have saved all them already

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Appears to be the area's of the country and how they differ, in regards to legal descriptions and accessibility. Don't know how anyone does not do research at the Hall of Records when your in the area doing inspections, but that is my personal preference.

GregoryK

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Interesting. I feel privileged having such good County GIS. The five county Charlotte MSA(spprx) Ranked as follows

1. Mecklenburg - By far top notch. I can get just every thing I need. Link to the following; Deed, Flood Map, Zoning, Sale Price by year of individual parcels etc etc
2. Gaston is not to bad, but unlike Mecklenburg they don't link to Registrar of Deed, or flood mapping But they do let you see sale by year in the Hood for different sites.
3. Lincoln not bad, Rural County and they have something that is super important They have county wide water BUT not everyone has it on there road. So there county water line map is easy to use.
Cabarrus - Pretty good
Union - Good but not terrific You have to do web page searching yourself for other needs, but I have saved all them already
Actually the Davidson County GOS and some of the collar counties are really good. Davidson county has links to building permit history, deeds, zoning, etc. The issue I have is the legal description on deeds with reference to an earlier transfer, and then the next reference may be a survey that was 20 or 30 years earlier. It is more of what passes for a legal description. It's funny, everywhere I have lived/worked before always had a complete legal description. Since moving to Tennessee five years ago, I have used my deed plotting software less than a dozen times.

GWISC

Professional Status
State
Wisconsin
One argument for getting a copy of the title work is that the title shows a "manifest" of the properties to be included in the mortgage and likely needed in the appraisal. 99% of the time, all I get is is the address of the property to be appraised. Most times this is enough. On rare occasions, it is not.

Artemis Fowl

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Nuther one just today...

Titlework was incorrect. Legal description was wrong and Tax description was correct. Issue regarding a vacated alley. Took a few hours to figure it all out. Suspect this will eventually bounce back to the appraiser for revision. I'm half annoyed that the title company didn't dig deeper and half happy because I learned a few things on the journey.

jay trotta

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Nuther one just today...

Titlework was incorrect. Legal description was wrong and Tax description was correct. Issue regarding a vacated alley. Took a few hours to figure it all out. Suspect this will eventually bounce back to the appraiser for revision. I'm half annoyed that the title company didn't dig deeper and half happy because I learned a few things on the journey.
Agreed, but every Title searcher is of their own opinion as to what to research and may be limited by assignment; back in the 90's didn't have enough fingers & toes to go over the messed up Deeds N such, and actually not my problem, it is for the most part a "legal matter" and therefore, requires a "Field Expert" for correction. I do not perform Legal or Title work, as it is beyond my "Licensed" approved workload.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks