• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

To Accept Or Not Accept

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
I believe this may have been addressed B4 but I couldn't find it. I just got a request with the statement about "please comp property B4 the inspection. If you are unable to obtain the minimum value, please call B4 completion. Normally, I write decline on the request and fax it back. I keep these types of requests in a file for future reference if needed. However, in this case, it is COD. Would continuing with this assignment be viewed as accepting it with a predetermined value? I have my thoughts but would like to hear from y'all. :D

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Some off the wall mortgage broker that I'll never do business with again......
Hmmmmmm......

I've handled these two different ways, depending upon my mood and how busy I am. Either I write or call them and ask them to please send the order again without that condition, which usually cancels the order and most often I have to go through all the BS of 'your the only one...'. Or, what I have done that I don't do anymore, I black out that portion of the order, including the value wanted, complete the appraisal, deliver it after I know the COD is cashed, and try not to have them catch me on the phone.

Out of these options, I like a very brief and quick email to them to please send the order again without the condition. Sometimes it continues with the BS of them trying to change my mind before they cancel. Sometimes I never hear from them again. Every once in a while they actually do change the order and sent it back clean.

Mike Simpson

I would view this as accepting the assignment with a predetermined value.

Even if it weren't--it tell lenders; "your asking for the end product at the beginning of the process. I can appreciate everyone's desire to know if the house will appraise for a specified amount before they spend their money, however, my fee cannot be contingent upon a predetermined value, and I must be paid for my valuable time like everyone else...I'm a businessman."

-Mike

James Bourgeois

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Louisiana
This assignment is fraught with problems. The lender is asking for 2 things you oughtn't do: He wants you to hit a number and he wants you to run comps before the inspection.

I would take the easy way out and tell him to reassign it to his favorite number hitter because I don't do comp searches for lenders and certainly don't grid comps prior to inspection.

This assignment would never have hit your desk were there not "appraisers" out there who do this sort of thing as a matter of course. Ethics, like honesty, are much admired, but only in the abstract. Hewing to an ethical code of conduct that costs money is not fashionable and certainly not popular. All the regulations in the world won't cure the problem, either.

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
Tim,
do you mean No do not accept this assignment as written or No continuing with this assignment would be viewed as accepting it with a predetermined value?
Just trying to be clear, cause sometimes I model my answers after yours!!!!! :beer:

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
No to predetermined value. I would accept the assignment if the appraisal order was modified to remove the "stop" issues and it was understood that any determination of value is impossible without completing the assignment. We are paid to produce an opinion of value. Stopping and calling does not excuse of from completing the necessary work to render an opinion of value. USPAP does not have cut-off mark that absolves us of out standards and ethics. Once you tell a lender you can't make value, you have performed an appraisal. You are responsible for all the same documentation in your file that you would need for a delivered appraisal. If you do the work, you should get paid. You could finish the appraisal and not charge the customer or client, but that is poor business practice and you would have a long line of customers, clients and others at your door wanting the same free service. You could probably be sued by any borrower, client, etc. for charging them for any appraisal completed that did not make value. If you offer it to one, you should offer it to all. Can't you see a lawyer arguing that in court? It probably would never happen, but nothing would surprise me anymore. :beer:

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Georgia
I think we all, on this forum, feel the same way about this type of request:

Not only no but :eek:nfire: NO!

jtrotta

Predetermined Value :question: how does one do that :mrgreen:

I yam Houdini, therefore I scam sea da future, butts - I needs the Benjamins 1st :rofl:

:ph34r:

sorta like the robber that walks in the Bank and says; "hands up an git down on the floor" - now that would be an accomplishment - ;)

larryhaskell

Professional Status
State
Nevada
I did decline the assignment even though it was COD. My thought was, that if I continued and failed to hit the minimum value, someone could argue that I didn't adhere to the conditions in the contract or request.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks