• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

To LCD or not to LCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
In a previous topic I mentioned I was ordering a desktop computer after 4 years of only using a laptop for purposes of having duplication of systems, backups, etc. should one system go down.

I have decided on an ABS system from http://abspc.com. I will probably order the 2.66 ghz Awesome 3550 model (in the sexy blue case with the acrylic windows so you can see inside of it). Other specs: 512MB ram, 120MB hard drive.

I haven't ordered it yet, my undecided point is the monitor. Do I get the LCD flat screen or the CRT monitor?

My laptop I am using now has a 15" LCD screen, which is fine. But I wanted a little larger for the desktop. You can get a a 17" NEC monitor for $130. Or the 15" NEC Flat panel LCD for $320.

Do any of you use a 15" Flat panel? If so could you measure the length, width, and diagonal measure of the ACTUAL SCREEN?

My Laptop 15" Screen VIEWING AREA measures:
width = 12"
height = 9"
diagonal = 15"

I was thinking about just getting the 17" CRT for $130 and buy a 17" LCD Flat panel in a year or two when they are half of their current price.

Ideas?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
Wayne:

How important is your desktop turf to you? That monitor is going to eat up a lot of space you are curently used to having free.

My girlfriend just got a flatscreen: (they called it a 17")
Actual view size is 13.5 W, 11 H and true 17" diag. I forgot to ask her which model :oops:

I also have a 17 inch NEC, and it's a great screen, but I really like my laptop screen better: crisper greater color saturation and glare adjustable with a fingertip.

I'd choke up the flatscreen money. (don't hate me if they drop to 50% in 12 months)

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Wayne

I have a 15" LCD at home. I'll measure it for you tonight and repost unless someone posts the measurements ahead of me.

I had the same dilemma when I bought a P4 recently. I compared the LCD and CRT and went for the el cheapo 19" CRT. Screen size is 11"H x 14.5"W. The new 19" "box" was about the same overall size as my old 17". The dot pitch is also much smaller than the LCD.

Hey, the LCD's are cool but if you got the desktop room, the CRT is the way to go cost-wise.

Ben

James Bourgeois

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Louisiana
Wayne, dish out the extra $$$ and get the LCD...a 15" LCD is equivalent to a 17" CRT. It's easier on the eyes, the colors are better and there's a lot less glare. The new models have faster refresh rates and better clarity than the older ones and compare favorably with CRT's.

I faced the same decision six months ago, spent the extra bucks and am happy I did. I can't believe I worked with that CRT for so long. I don't experience near the amount of eye fatigue or the number of headaches that were common with my old monitor. I can work longer and not suffer as much.

A word of caution, however, you should go to Best Buy or Comp USA or some such place where you can see the model you intend to buy to compare the picture with other brands and models. There is a world of difference in picture quality among different manufacturers and different models by the same manufacturer.

Good Luck

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I have a Microtek C783 LCD. It only takes up 5" of my desk top....love it. Same viewing area a 19" CRT...love it. No glare...love it. Cost $475...hated that!

The 15s are getting pretty cheap these days and would probably work ok for you. Alamode recommends at least a 17" monitor for their software. Oh I forgot, I can pick my monitor up with one hand...love it!

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Wayne, dish out the extra $$$ and get the LCD...a 15" LCD is equivalent to a 17" CRT.

That's why I asked for measurements I want to see the viewing area of a 15" LCD. The one I have my eye on is a Viewsonic VE510+ 15" LCD Flat Panel Display and it is $356 when ordered with a system. Not a bad price at all, but I am concerned if it will be big enough that's why I asked for measurements. The next size they offer is an 18" and that one is $674 and I did not want to sink that much in a monitor.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I have a Microtek C783 LCD. It only takes up 5" of my desk top....love it. Same viewing area a 19" CRT...love it. No glare...love it. Cost $475...hated that!

The 15s are getting pretty cheap these days and would probably work ok for you. Alamode recommends at least a 17" monitor for their software. Oh I forgot, I can pick my monitor up with one hand...love it!

Mike can you give me measurements of your LCD?
(actual viewing area width, height, and diagonal)

Thanks!

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Okay I think I have found the data I needed:

The 15" LCD Monitor I am considering is:
Width= 12"
Height= 9"
Diagonal= 15"
Price: $356
Make: Viewsonic VE510+1

The 17" CRT Monitor:
Width= 12.8"
Height = 9.6"
Diagonal = 16"
Price: $130
Make: NEC/Mitsubishi AS70BK

So the 17" monitor is really equivalent to a 16" since that is the diagonal viewing area.

I think I will go with the LCD because:

It uses less power.
It takes up less room.
It is lighter.
It gives off less electromagnetic emissions.
Less eyestrain due to no flicker of the CRT tubes.

Cliff Salisbury

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Ohio
Wayne,

I have a KDS 15 that has the same measurements as your laptop screen. I really like it and it takes up a lot less room.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Your wish is my command.....

width...13.5

Height 11.0

diagonal 17

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks