• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

To Train or not to Train, that is the question??????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHaugabrooks

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
A friend of mine told me that it is a violation for a supervisor to try to supervise a trainee out of his area. Is this true? Does anyone know if the supervising appraiser have to be physically present with the trainee for the supervisor to fullfill his responsibility to train? Does that violate any USPAP laws, Florida statutes or ethics?

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
The state board is looking into those supervisors with trainees that live far enough away from their supervisor that it would be difficult if not impossible to go on inspections together. If any supervisor signs that they also inspected the subject property when they did not.... that is fraud.

It has been noticed that most of the fraud and poor supervision comes from shops where there are more than 2 or 3 trainees - especially when the trainees live in different areas of the state.

There is talk of funds are being allocated for additional investigators and most will be looking into supervisors with more than 2 trainees. The board is hoping for additional rule making authority to make changes they feel are necessary - including training where the supervisor and trainee are together most of the time. The main thing to remember is that as a supervisor, you are 100% responsible for what that trainee does.

How can anyone train someone properly that's not doing inspections together and regularly together in the office to go over questions and theories?

Come to the FREAB meetings and learn!

You are a new trainee under a newly certified residential appraiser that has a total of 8 trainees listed under her name right now. A shop like that would be a likely target for a state investigator.

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
How can you train someone without being there? Are you just looking for a loophole in the law or actually getting real training? Do yourself a favor and find someone that really knows how to appraise the right way otherwise you are just a data collector for people trying to get money from the bank.

Judy Whitehead (Florida)

Professional Status
State
Florida
I think the answer to the question is.....there is nothing presently that says you must live in the same city with the supervisor, but as Pam pointed out, it is awfully difficult and hard to believe that a supervising appraiser "Did" inspect the subject if they live far away. If that report was audited, you can bet that the investigator would follow up with the homeowner, etc. Some lenders, of course, do not require an inspection by the supervising appraiser.

When the state audits the reports that the trainee turns in on his/her log, believe me they will very likely go over them with a fine tooth comb since it is really impossible to get proper training long distance. But there is obviously no "law" against the supervisor and the trainee living in two different places. I would imagine that this issue of "proper training" is extremely difficult to administrate and regulate. What say you, Frank?

SHaugabrooks

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I understand that if U am checking that the supervisor inspected the property and didn't, obviously that is fraud. Stripes do not look well on me. :wink: We accurately report the the supervisor did not inspect and the clients that we use do not have a problem with it.

My issue is whether I was breaking any rules with my supervisor not being physically accessible. I have had prior appraisal training so I don't feel like I need someone standing over me at all times. I get very few corrections from the bank and know of several field reviews that have been performed behind my work and I have not had any problems.

My concern is when I apply to become certified. I am doing a lot of appraisals and want them to be honored towards my neccessary hours.

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
That really a tough question to answer from us. You should get a opinion from the state just to be sure. As an example there is no law about how many trainees you may have under you. But when the appraiser from Jacksonville Paul Z. was questioned at the board about his 12 trainees they nailed him twice as hard for his other offenses. So yes it might be legal but how does it look if something else goes wrong. Be carefull if you are in this for the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks