• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Top 10 U.s. Cities Where You Can Live Well On A $60,000. Salary. Cnbc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
To avoid offending anyone living there by singling out the worst, I found none of those cities a place I would live. I'd rather live in about anywhere else that is cheap than those listed. Smaller towns not far from some of those cities maybe...but not in those cities. For instance, Mars, north of Pittsburgh appears to be a growth area and has lower taxes, I'd rather live there than Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
To avoid offending anyone living there by singling out the worst, I found none of those cities a place I would live. I'd rather live in about anywhere else that is cheap than those listed. Smaller towns not far from some of those cities maybe...but not in those cities. For instance, Mars, north of Pittsburgh appears to be a growth area and has lower taxes, I'd rather live there than Pittsburgh.
We're good with that!:rof: FYI, Mars has one of the highest millage rates in Butler County. As development continues and the need to expand schools etc., their rate will become comparable to those in Allegheny County. Have seen the same scenario in other growth areas in the region.

Michael S

Professional Status
State
New Mexico
I find it hard to believe the median income in Detroit is over $60,000, or that the median home price in some of these cities is less than $150k.

I don't see the source of the data but the first result in Google was a list of the top 100 cities with median home prices from Kiplinger http://www.kiplinger.com/tool/real-estate/T010-S003-home-prices-in-100-top-u-s-metro-areas/index.php (source is Clear Capital).

It shows Albuquerque at $129,000. Outside of a subdivision in the desert 20 miles out or some pretty bad neighborhoods with small old houses you're not going to find a house for $129,000. Median home price is probably somewhere around 175-200k.

bnmappraisal

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
To avoid offending anyone living there by singling out the worst, I found none of those cities a place I would live
Although I lived in Pgh for many years, have family in Cincy and have spent a decent amount of time visiting there over the years... I agree with you, Terrel, none jump out to me as cities for me to live in (again).

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
I find it hard to believe the median income in Detroit is over $60,000, or that the median home price in some of these cities is less than $150k.

Most likely the metro area. The median income in the United States is about $55,000 while the average income is $60,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks