• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Top Housing markets rose 4Q 2001 to 4Q2002 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
No way in Jacksonville, FL

Remember, those numbers are from MLS information and we all know how reliable that is.

Just counted 7 FSBO signs on a 5 mile stretch of secondary road where it was rare to find 1.

Statistics.... where's Austin? IF the lower priced properties are going FSBO because so many are too upside down with their mortgage to cover a Realtor's commission, those statistics are skewed. Many are already in or pending foreclosure. Those are not in the MLS and not included in this statistic.

My personal opinion is that this is a media hype trying to keep the general public from finding out reality while trying to keep people buying overpriced listings to keep their own commissions flowing. Then again, I'm cynical. When I see builders offering discounts..... the prices ain't risin like that article says they are!

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
This is average data. mixing good and bad neighborhoods together. I am not sure this is a good source.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
certainly many sub-markets have done very well in Charlotte and some others have leveled off. What has not done as well are the outlieing areas(surrounding counties). But over all I would agree.

Steve Owen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Missouri
I think it's interesting that a lot of the places on the list with high percentages are the same places we've seen in stories about housing bubbles.

The stats with low increases or negatives seem about right - although I was surprised that Alburquerqe was listed negative.

Interesting, Gulfport/Biloxi were negative while neaby Mobile was positive.

Kansas City seems about right, Tulsa seems high.

All of this is pure WAG, of course. I don't work in any of those places. Now, if they listed numbers for lowly little Joplin I could tell you whether they were right.

I follow the MLS stats for Joplin, and generally, I find them to be pretty good. It's possible to separate them by neighborhood here. In some other locales, MLS stats might be a lot less reliable. However, I think it is worth remembering that they are probably generally good data (if you keep in mind the limitations of not having FSBO's included).

As with any statistic, it is important to remember what you are looking at and what the stat represents. These are the median prices for properties sold through realtors - the stats are probably quite reliable, but they are what they are.

Here, most FSBO's sell near the same price ranges as listed properties do. I have seen a lot of them where one party or the other got burned by not having good pricing info before selling - but, it's the buyer about as often as the seller as far as I can tell - therefore, averages should not be adversely affected.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
State
Kansas
These are the same YOYO's that said my market went up 30% last year. That wasn't right and neither is the 2/10th they said we went up this year.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Y wouldn't the Housing Market be up?? They are offering first time home buyers 125% of value all closing cost paid by builder or seller (Rolled into loan) no one realizes that till they own home for a while. This research I'm sure includes Foreclosed property sold at a huge lost. Wording & doing the polling in a certain way gives results U need. Watch next election starts rollin around this information will change. Bet any one of us could put statistics together that would dispute these.

Eric Boggs

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I agree with Andrew in Charlotte. There are many markets that have done well here - those close to town. Some of the markets further from the center city have been level or have been hit, some down more than 5%.

jtrotta

as a curiosity peeper, I noted they lumped; New York/N.New Jersey/ Long Island/ NY/NJ / CT all into one with a hefty percentage increase 8O .

scewered (ouch) may be the optimum answer here :lol: can you say fuzzzy $$$$ %%%%

8)

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
San Diego shows a +26.6% change in the "median value" in that article. I am not sure if you can translate this directly inot a percent change in value. However the San Diego regional chamber of commerce reports a +16.8 % change in value for "city of San Diego" from 10/02 to 10/03. Some areas in the county have seen rates as high a +29.4% in the same time period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks