• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Trainee Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason S

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
We have a trainee in my office that we were signing his reports for hours. (Not me but an AR, obviously)

Some of his recent reports have been very questionable. turns out thte questionable reports are for a LO that is a good friend of his.

Example: Condo Report with all comps outside 1 mile used to "get value" when there are 3 sales in the building which were completely ignored (not put in the report) because it would have "killed their deal"

My question is do we & how would we report the trainee & LO if needed. We really just wan to cover our ***, he will no longer be able to have anyone in our office review & sign his reports, but what else should we do.

Also please note that any questionable reports were not signed or changed 1st before signing.

Please no comments for "get value" or "kill the deal" stuff, we don't do business that way & I just used those terms to convey what I needed to explain.

Thanks

Last edited:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
The role of the supervisory appraiser is to teach and SUPERVISE. Not review and sign off. Your office should turn itself in.

Jason S

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
The role of the supervisory appraiser is to teach and SUPERVISE. Not review and sign off. Your office should turn itself in.

Really I never would have thought of that. your brilliant...:shrug:

If anyone else has any helpful comments, we have actually tried to meet with him & review & teach him the correct ways, he has declined to meet with us.

Mike Plumlee

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
My supervisor goes over my reports with a fine tooth comb and would NEVER sign any appraisal until he has reviewed it in total. He would NEVER sign an appraisal unless he is in 100% agreement as to its value conclusion. My comp selections have to be justified to my supervisor so that they become his comps.

So ... your supervisor is liable and at fault first and foremost. As to the alleged Trainee in question - he/she should be fired immediately. Screw me once, shame on you ... you know the rest.

And then you should start looking for another mentor.

Last edited:

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
We have a trainee in my office that we were signing his reports for hours. (Not me but an AL, obviously)

Some of his recent reports have been very questionable. turns out thte questionable reports are for a LO that is a good friend of his.

Example: Condo Report with all comps outside 1 mile used to "get value" when there are 3 sales in the building which were completely ignored (not put in the report) because it would have "killed their deal"

My question is do we & how would we report the trainee & LO if needed. We really just wan to cover our ***, he will no longer be able to have anyone in our office review & sign his reports, but what else should we do.

Also please note that any questionable reports were not signed or changed 1st before signing.

Please no comments for "get value" or "kill the deal" stuff, we don't do business that way & I just used those terms to convey what I needed to explain.

Thanks

I would have a serious "sit-down" conversation with this trainee and tell him (or, her) the facts of life (well, maybe the facts of "appraiser-life").

I would tell this person that what they are doing is unethical, unprofessional, and--perhaps--fraudulent.

I would tell this trainee that there are two options: shape-up or any future appraisals with such deficiencies will be referred to your state's appraiser regulatory agency.

AND...but one more reason why I absolutely detest a trainee bringing a "client" (IMHO, in way too many instances, a partner in crime) to a Supervisor Appraiser. This practice should absolutely be banned.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
we have actually tried to meet with him & review & teach him the correct ways, he has declined to meet with us.

I rest my case.

Jason S

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Thank you Lee, we tried to have a sit down & he has refused.

Almost everyone works from their home & offered to meet with him at his convienence.

Beleive me no reports were signed unless they were gone over with "a fine tooth comb" Any reports that left our office were credible & accurate.

We want to make sure we are doing everything we need to do legally to protect the company & employees.

I would have a serious "sit-down" conversation with this trainee and tell him (or, her) the facts of life (well, maybe the facts of "appraiser-life").

I would tell this person that what they are doing is unethical, unprofessional, and--perhaps--fraudulent.

I would tell this trainee that there are two options: shape-up or any future appraisals with such deficiencies will be referred to your state's appraiser regulatory agency.

AND...but one more reason why I absolutely detest a trainee bringing a "client" (IMHO, in way too many instances, a partner in crime) to a Supervisor Appraiser. This practice should absolutely be banned.

Mike Plumlee

Professional Status
State
Texas
Beleive me no reports were signed unless they were gone over with "a fine tooth comb" Any reports that left our office were credible & accurate.

I misunderstood. If you are catching the problem and correcting it, that's good.

But, I still stand by my recommendation to let the guy go. If he is willing to risk your license in order to satisfy an LO friend AND he is reluctant to do things the right way, or even show compunction to meet and change then he isn't going to change. Character flaws are generally with people for life.

Kali the Boston Terrier

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
How is that the supervisor was not able to meet with him, didn't he go on the inspection with the trainee...that would be a perfect place to talk him about his prior reports. Of course it doesn't sound like the supervisor is inspecting with the trainee...

Liz Mura

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Jason, the trainees should be working side by side (not alone from home) with their mentor. That way the trainee can bring up the hundreds of questions they should have and the mentor can put a stop immediately to any wrong doing (no way to "not agree to meet" when you work together every day). This trainee has violated USPAP as they obviously had an interest in the outcome of the appraisal & loan. If this trainee has been taught that this is WRONG, then it does not bode well for his/her future ethics when licensed. If they were not taught ("How am I supposed to get Clients if it's not someone I know?") this is wrong, shame on the mentor. There are many hungry ethical trainees out there. Let this guy go and hire a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks