• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Trainee Hours

Status
Not open for further replies.

undergroundPOP

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I've accrued 780 hours so far towards my AG license and I'm steadily chipping away at the required 3,000 hours... My question is about the reasonable number of hours I can report for each appraisal assignment.

Being at the bottom of the totem pole as a trainee, I often get the complex assignments that pay the lowest fees. This translates to long hours of researching, analyzing and writing. It's not unusual for me to spend 3+ weeks on a single assignment, so is it reasonable for me to report that I spent 120+ hours on an appraisal? I'm just concerned that the CA OREA might think that I'm spending too much time on each report and not accept that I may have spent 120 hours on an assignment.

What has been your experience in the past as a trainee or supervising a trainee?

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
If you are spending three weeks on a report then you are not being given enough help or guidance.

undergroundPOP

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
If you are spending three weeks on a report then you are not being given enough help or guidance.

You raise a good point, but I don't think that that's the case. Each appraisal is unique and pose a different set of problems each time you begin an assignment. Perhaps a 3-week turnaround time is long for you, but I see that you're a Certified General Appraiser and you have much more work experience than I do. I'm hoping that as I become more proficient at my work, my hours spent on each job will decrease.

undergroundPOP

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Having said all of that, I just spoke to an appraiser from the CA OREA, and she informed me that as long as the scope of work aligns with the number of hours, then the reported figure is acceptable. I'm just gonna roll with that answer...

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Having said all of that, I just spoke to an appraiser from the CA OREA, and she informed me that as long as the scope of work aligns with the number of hours, then the reported figure is acceptable. I'm just gonna roll with that answer...

For your experience log, I would get that in an email from OREA, as opposed to a phone conversation. First commercial report I worked on when I was a CR, was a 150 unit apartment property that probably took me three weeks. The MAI would look things over ever other day, then it was back to it. Report ended up being about 150 pages in a narrative format. Don't recall how many hours I submitted to OREA for that report.

undergroundPOP

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
For your experience log, I would get that in an email from OREA, as opposed to a phone conversation. First commercial report I worked on when I was a CR, was a 150 unit apartment property that probably took me three weeks. The MAI would look things over ever other day, then it was back to it. Report ended up being about 150 pages in a narrative format. Don't recall how many hours I submitted to OREA for that report.

Well Greg, I'm sure that being in Santa Barbara and the Central Coast, you understand that it can be tough just to find the right comps with the small market sizes. Add to that, the complexity of each property (flood zones, differing H&BU, etc) I don't think three weeks is all that unreasonable.

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
That property was in Isla Vista, which usually has an ample number of res income sales. Good luck in your goal to get the AG license. Plenty of work, but a worthwhile goal.

hastalavista

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
In my discussions with BREA regarding experience logs, here is what I've heard (take it for what it is worth):

• The expectation is that, in the beginning, things take longer than they do toward the end. So, longer hours-per-assignment in the beginning, with a shortening of the hours as one gains more experience as time goes on.
  • The "hours" benchmark of 3,000 is a benchmark, but it isn't the only consideration. A lot of hours on a few assignments may not be sufficient enough to meet the overall experience threshold. You can see how this may make intuitive sense: Assume you appraised the Empire State Building and a retrospective valuation of the World Trade Center Towers; those two assignments took 2,000 hours total. the remaining hours-requirement consisted of 15 other assignments. This would likely not be enough assignments, despite the fact that you met the hours requirement (yes, an extreme example, but it makes the point: It isn't just about the hours, it is about the number of assignments as well).

Good luck!

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
There was a girl at work that claimed 130 hours on one report; well over a month into it. Won't get into complexities but it flew with the state.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
The "hours" benchmark of 3,000 is a benchmark, but it isn't the only consideration.

When I applied I had 7,000-8,000 hours on my log and that wasn't all of them. I think 3,000 hours only makes one smart enough to be dangerous except for the very easy stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks