• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Trainee Poll--What's more useful in your training

Which is more important to your training

• The mentor process has been more useful in my training

Votes: 27 79.4%
  • Learning to use the software is the most useful thing I've learned

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • They are about equally useful.

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
Trainee Poll only. Your mentor tells you lots of stuff.
You use the same software as he does and you've
become familar with how to make it work.

Which is more useful to your transistion from a trainee
to a licensed appraiser?

Hamlet

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Ohio
I'm not a trainee, so I won't respond to your poll. My trainee days are fresh in my mind, however so I will give you my answer below.

My most valuable asset to my training should have been my mentor, but was actually this forum and the contacts I have made here.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
I'm not a trainee, so I won't respond to your poll. My trainee days are fresh in my mind, however so I will give you my answer below.

My most valuable asset to my training should have been my mentor, but was actually this forum and the contacts I have made here.

What she said.

Jason S

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
With the things you learn from a mentor, you should be able to apply that to any software you use.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
Mentoring should include the training of how to use the software. However, with my trainees, they have all had superior computer training prior to becoming a trainee.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
D: The Forum. Hands Down.

I agree with Donna. My residential mentor is very knowledgeable, but, how can he compete with the thousands of appraisers in this forum :)

For instance, I had a problem with a client trying to browbeat us into completing a PUD townhouse appraisal on a CONDO form. My mentor had never encountered this. However, I had 10-15 opinions from licensed and certified appraisers to help mold my behavior and response to my mentor and client. We held our ground. That night, I got a warm feeling and smiled. It was the first time in a while that I felt confident that the good fight was fought and won that day.

You can't buy instruction like you can find on here. So, my vote is for option D: appraisersforum.com

Greenback

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Louisiana
My mentor is a woman :)
(he/she - not just, "he")

My personal experience, there are not so good mentors and there are good mentors. The process is nice when you know you have a great mentor and know that the process is being applied in an ethical manner; if not, then the search begins (again and again and again).

It's not easy when ya know you are competing against a lower fee, less quality work from others, and time.

Quality versus quantity! I feel like I'm trying to hit a magic number in order to become certified. A trainee gets in and that number sticks out. "....gee, all I need to do is get my name mentioned 250 times or whatever". I know what number I need; but, it's hogwash! Pay attention to learning and progessing for all the right reasons; but, that doesn't matter unless you can hit a specific number. Sad! Most of the time It's all about hitting a number, not learning and progressing. Quality work is no good, unless you can hit a number in time....

Thank God I found the mentor I have, in time. If I need or just want a hug, I get my hug. If I need someone to talk to, I have someone to talk to. If my confidence level is down, I get my confidence level up. If I need counseling, I get counseling. If I need re-assurance, I get re-assurance.

I would be certified or inches away from being certified, if I took a different road. I would never take back anything or want to take back anything from the road I chose. I'm happy, but the goal has not been accomplished.., yet. I've learned too much and come too far to let a bunch of number hitting punks take that away from me.

It should be based on quality and progress (plus other "things") instead of a certain number of appraisals done in a certain amount of time.

Just my opinion,

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
California
Benji,

You are, without a doubt, the most persistent trainee I've ever seen. That's saying something, too, because in my opinion the one trait that determines how successful an appraiser will be is their persistence and self-motivation.

I salute you.

Lawrence R.

Professional Status
State
South Carolina
My mentor is a woman :)
(he/she - not just, "he")

My personal experience, there are not so good mentors and there are good mentors. The process is nice when you know you have a great mentor and know that the process is being applied in an ethical manner; if not, then the search begins (again and again and again).

It's not easy when ya know you are competing against a lower fee, less quality work from others, and time.

Quality versus quantity! I feel like I'm trying to hit a magic number in order to become certified. A trainee gets in and that number sticks out. "....gee, all I need to do is get my name mentioned 250 times or whatever". I know what number I need; but, it's hogwash! Pay attention to learning and progessing for all the right reasons; but, that doesn't matter unless you can hit a specific number. Sad! Most of the time It's all about hitting a number, not learning and progressing. Quality work is no good, unless you can hit a number in time....

Thank God I found the mentor I have, in time. If I need or just want a hug, I get my hug. If I need someone to talk to, I have someone to talk to. If my confidence level is down, I get my confidence level up. If I need counseling, I get counseling. If I need re-assurance, I get re-assurance.

I would be certified or inches away from being certified, if I took a different road. I would never take back anything or want to take back anything from the road I chose. I'm happy, but the goal has not been accomplished.., yet. I've learned too much and come too far to let a bunch of number hitting punks take that away from me.

It should be based on quality and progress (plus other "things") instead of a certain number of appraisals done in a certain amount of time.

Just my opinion,

So I take it you're voting for the software!! LOL (what a sexist comment from me of all people):rof:

Mack Mitchell

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Texas
2cents

Benji,

You are, without a doubt, the most persistent trainee I've ever seen. That's saying something, too, because in my opinion the one trait that determines how successful an appraiser will be is their persistence and self-motivation.

I salute you.

That sounds like a good question to ask: What is the most important quality you have to have to earn your license? Persistance and having thick skin certainly does pay off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks