• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Trainee Workfiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Lemoine

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
I tried to help our industry and interviewed several people before finally accepting to take on a trainee. At first, she was eager and willing to learn and seemed to be catching on. However, after a couple of months, I guess the "honeymoon" was over and I started to realize that she was not remembering even the simpliest of things. I knew I had my hands full when I pointed to a gas meter and she thought it was an electrical meter, a security system or an irrigation system. Things got progressively worse after that.

One day I discovered that she was sharing details of our reports and observations with a realtor friend of hers. This really concerned me because of the confidentiality rules. I reviewed USPAP with her and she "says" did not realize it was a violation. At that moment I lost trust and felt like I could not continue with her any longer. Soon after, I severed the relationship.

Now she is calling me up and asking for a copy of the reports that we worked on together. I do not feel that I can trust her with copies of the reports and my signatures. I read the rules for trainees and supervisors and it states that I can not deny her access to the work files. It does not say that I must give a copy, just that I can not deny access. Does this mean that I can offer her access to the files from 1pm to 2pm every third Tuesday of every month that ends in a "y" as long as she is willing to view them in my presence in my office?

I am really baffled on this one. Any ideas on what should and/or can I do?

CindyR

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Interesting that no one had had any answers for you on this one yet. I would encourage you to check with the AZBOA and get some guidance from them. I would also observe that your 'desire to help our industry' must have been very strong as the AZBOA Trainee List shows that you have 3 Trainees at this time.

Anyway, as for the trainee's request for work files or report copies I think you need to keep in mind that these files are first and foremost YOUR work files. The rules about sharing them are certainly developed primarily for trainees in those states where trainees have signing privileges. Here in AZ, what possible reason would the trainee have to request a file? The only one I can guess is because she has submitted her work Log and one of the appraisals the Board asked to see was from her time with you. And she needs to submit a copy of that report, that includes a description of the contribution she made to the work product, and for some reason the board has now asked to see the work file as well. So, for something like that I think she absolutely has a right to copy of the file. But, if you were her first supervisor and only kept her around for a few months, then she is very early in her apprenticeship. By the time she submits her log they will certainly request reports from much later in her career and not from her time with you.

I can not imagine any other reason for her to request access to a work file. And if she does ask to see one, I would think she needs a good reason to ask for it. And it is up to you to determine the legitimacy of the request. If it does not seem reasonable to you I would not comply and let her attorney talk to my attorney.

And, I am talking work files for specific properties. As we all know your 'Work File' includes a true, signed copy of your final report. If she has a specific need to see the file for 123 Main Street she should reasonably submit a written request for access to that file for some specific reason that makes business sense. I would see no reason to comply with a request for copies of all the files she ever worked on. And if you are worried about your signature I would give her the true signed paper copy and be sure to obliterate your signature so it can not be copied. And is she wants copies of the report and file I think you are certainly justified in passing along the reasonable (statutory) copying costs.

So, just my 2 cents.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
I tried to help our industry and interviewed several people before finally accepting to take on a trainee. At first, she was eager and willing to learn and seemed to be catching on. However, after a couple of months, I guess the "honeymoon" was over and I started to realize that she was not remembering even the simpliest of things. I knew I had my hands full when I pointed to a gas meter and she thought it was an electrical meter, a security system or an irrigation system. Things got progressively worse after that.

One day I discovered that she was sharing details of our reports and observations with a realtor friend of hers. This really concerned me because of the confidentiality rules. I reviewed USPAP with her and she "says" did not realize it was a violation. At that moment I lost trust and felt like I could not continue with her any longer. Soon after, I severed the relationship.

Now she is calling me up and asking for a copy of the reports that we worked on together. I do not feel that I can trust her with copies of the reports and my signatures. I read the rules for trainees and supervisors and it states that I can not deny her access to the work files. It does not say that I must give a copy, just that I can not deny access. Does this mean that I can offer her access to the files from 1pm to 2pm every third Tuesday of every month that ends in a "y" as long as she is willing to view them in my presence in my office?

I am really baffled on this one. Any ideas on what should and/or can I do?

The Board is worthless BUT I'd go & change my signature to some degree & Make sure There was a report in the AZ Board File. & i'd find some other Apprtaisers I thought I could trust & get on record with them thatt I was doing everythingh possible to protect myself Includinfd NOT have any Trainees.

Ken Lemoine

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
Thanks for all of your thoughts. Looks like I did make a mistake with this trainee, but there was not enough information in the beginning to deny her the opportunity. Afterall, I would not have been in this industry for the past 13 years if someone had not given me a chance to prove myself.

Her reason for wanting copies of the files is because she is afraid something might happen to me and/or the company in the future and she will not have access to the files. I really do not mean to be a pain, but I can not imagine a legitimate reason why she will need the file unless she has applied for her license and the Board needs a copy. But this is not the case. She is far from obtaining enough hours to apply.

I will try and contact the Board for further instructions.

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
Thanks for all of your thoughts. Looks like I did make a mistake with this trainee, but there was not enough information in the beginning to deny her the opportunity. Afterall, I would not have been in this industry for the past 13 years if someone had not given me a chance to prove myself.

Her reason for wanting copies of the files is because she is afraid something might happen to me and/or the company in the future and she will not have access to the files. I really do not mean to be a pain, but I can not imagine a legitimate reason why she will need the file unless she has applied for her license and the Board needs a copy. But this is not the case. She is far from obtaining enough hours to apply.

I will try and contact the Board for further instructions.

Again let me say the Board as of today is worthless IMO due to the administrator; Please attend a meeting & see for yourself. Feb 21 for example, Record your concerns in writing take them to the board be sure to watch them put them in your file, Send a copy certified receipt requested, Change your signature to some degree. Also report this & have it on file with DFI & Real Estate Fraud division, & might reconsidder having Trainees, Sorry Trainees BUT in todays market your liability out wheighs any value. You are going to have a long road in front of you & IF more Appraisers would attend Board meetings they'd really see the Trainee liability.

Feb 21 one day out of your life. Actually even a half day MAYBE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks