• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Trainee's Frustrations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenLuby

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
I realize that it gets frustrating finding a mentor. A lot of trainees think that, just because 99% of the schools say there is a line of appraisers waiting out the door to hire them, it must be true.

Most do not want to admit that they plunked down a good amount of money to get a piece of paper that allows them to begin the hard process of competing with all their fellow class mates to find a mentor, and, in short order, frustration sets in and they start to rage.

My point is this. A large part of this profession is dealing with LO's that want to argue value, agents that want to argue value, UW's that want that magic fourth comp right next door that is identical that the appraiser must have hidden, and a large number of people who seem to think that, just because the value isn't what they thought they should not have to pay.

Appraisers are constantly dancing on the knife edge, and even the best appraiser with no business sense will starve, while a good appraiser who has some business sense and can grit his teeth and wait to rant until after the phone is hung up can do fairly well.

Trainees, look at how many members there are on this forum. A good percentage are what are called lurkers, always out there, but rarely, if ever, saying anything.

Think this is your first test? If people get frustrated and rant and rave, that is probably a disqualifying factor to most mentors.

I am not saying that you have no right to speak your mind, do so. What I am saying is you are trying to break into a stress filled occupation, and how you handle it is crucial to finding a mentor.

There are people out there who, by there attitudes and perseverence, as well as their professionalism and maturity, even in the face of defeat, will triumph, because of a PM or an e-mail from a lurker or member of the forum who sees something they like about the writing style or something else, and then request a resume or further information.

As I said, we all have a right to voice our opinion. Just remember, that also brings the responsibililty to live with the results of said speech.

Good luck trainees. And trainers. And no, Lee Ann, no bonehead comment at the end of this.

Ben.

You only fail when you quit trying.

BenLuby

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
One last thing. I am still registered. Still a long way from being one of the Wise Council that posts here frequently. :D

Marc T. Girard

Freshman Member
Very nicely said!
Those of us who are trying to break into this profession can be surprised by the lack of a level playing field in hiring as compared to getting a job in other sectors. By "level playing field" I mean replying to a solicitation for employment and being hired based on your credentials meeting the requirement for the job. Convincing a mentor to take a loss and train you for a potential gain in his/her business at some future point is difficult, especially when you are veiwed as potential competition down the road. For "career changers" who may have been at the top of their game in a previous job, to be cast into the league of "useless"as some may view trainees, knocks the wind out of your sails. :unsure:
I'm soon to retire; many folks who post as newbees on this forum appear to be highly skilled/educated, established in their current profession, and perhaps hungry to excel like they may have in the past, in a new profession.
It is a bitter pill for this 37 year old "20 year guy" to swallow knowing you are going to be tossed "into the blades" your first years in appraising. I think the frustration you see in posts from wanna-bees is a justified, emotional response to an uncommon and unique hiring system...one that boils down years of non- appraisal education and supervisory skills into a simple gene pool...90 hours of OREA sanctioned education, 15 hour USPAP and passing a test. A common applicant pool as viewed by mentors. "Just another trainee" perhaps. But it is those trainee wanna-bees that swim against this current and make the cut that give this profession what it always needs to fill the ranks: an appraiser who has paid his/her dues and know what the hell they are doing. So I believe this system, with it's predisposition towards looking at newbees as lots of noise and little else, WEEDS OUT THE UNINSPIRED.
These humble opinions are only meant to point out what is obvious to everyone running a successful appraisal business: you were renting a studio apartment in Newbeeville at one time too and boy you wouldn't want to move back! We live in Newbeeville, knowing full well we are here temperarily, are slumming it (having lived in far better neighborhoods) and patiently work for the chance to jump the tracks to your side of town!
I consider myself a lurking newbee; although moved to jump into the fray on many "unusual" threads, I hang back. Most of the time for the thought that people hear (see) what they want and my offerings aren't going to sway a set mind. So I feel you are right, there is a way to discuss a point and then there is complaining.
As for schools blowing inspiration up peoples skirts about job availability, I would hope someone who did go the shake and bake route did a little more research (besides talking to a sales "counselor") before throwing down the green. My college teacher was a salty 20 year appraiser and the months I spent listening to him say EXACTLY what you posted were invaluable. His tales of ignorant LOs and REAs goofing up were many and inspired me even more as I am into "problem solving" people issues. So this first test of not spazing out on the keyboard in the quest for a mentor is an easy one to pass. I think...
Thanks again for the attitude adjustment post. I agree and just felt the muse upon me to comment on your correct advice!

:blink: :blink: :wacko:
Just gave myself a headrush because I got up too fast from my computer :wacko:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks