• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Trainees working for State Licensed Appraisers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Barber

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Does anyone know the process for turning these people in? I'm sure a formal complaint to the State Board would work, but I would like to remain anonymous for personal reasons. I know about 5 appraisers here in Michigan who are all State Licensed, yet still have trainees working for them on a daily basis. Didn't the new law go into effect 1/1/08? What kind of recourse would be expected? Are trainees that ignorant not to know their hours won't count under a State Licensed Appraiser as of 1/1/08? What will happen when they turn these hours in?

Paging Mr. Molenaar... if you read this please PM me.

Thanks.

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
You have to check the laws of your state. It is not mandatory that states adopt anything related to Licensed appraisers or Trainees.

Jason Barber

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I guess I'm confused as to what the AQB is saying then...

· Limited Real Estate Appraisers Supervision – Effective January 1, 2008 the Appraiser Qualification Board (AQB) mandates that Limited Real Estate Appraisers must be supervised by Certified Real Estate Appraisers, who may not supervise more than 3 Limited Real Estate Appraisers at a time. However, Limited Real Estate Appraisers are permitted to have more than one supervising Certified Real Estate Appraiser.

So you are saying it is up to the "State" level whether or not to adopt this policy?

Tony V

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
You have to check the laws of your state. It is not mandatory that states adopt anything related to Licensed appraisers or Trainees.

Dave ....where do you get that from?.....you know the problem we have on the State web site...and I thought, as do most that they are wrong..

Charles Witt

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Jason: You are correct. Certified appraisers can only be supervisors after 1/01/08. The AQB has mandsated this. The states must comply! From a Delaware Board member.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
http://www.michigan.gov/dleg/0,1607,7-154-35299_35414_35474-121180--,00.html·

TOP RIGHT SIDE OF HOME PAGE - CLICK ON THE PDF

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/cis/Limited_Real_Estate_Appraisers_Supervision_193429_7.pdf

Limited Real Estate Appraisers Supervision – Effective January 1, 2008 the Appraiser

Qualification Board (AQB) mandates that Limited Real Estate Appraisers must be
supervised by Certified Real Estate Appraisers, who may not supervise more than 3 Limited Real Estate Appraisers at a time.

However, Limited Real Estate Appraisers are permitted to have more than one supervising Certified Real Estate Appraiser.

Last edited:

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Michigan Appraisers:

Certified General -- 1,015
Certified Residential -- 684
Licensed -- 2,141

Those numbers would indicate that most trainees work for Licensed Appraisers since they outnumber CR by 3-1, and there are more licensed appraisers than CR and CG combined.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Call your board and just ask the question. As I understand it, the states could have adopted the new rules all at once or in a segmented approach. But again, call your board.

Charles Witt

Professional Status
State
Delaware
The segmented approach has nothing to do with who can supervise trainees. It only has to do with the trainee being allowed to take the test and complete qualifying education before 1/01/2008 and then complete the experience hours after 1/08/2008 without having to take the 2008 test. .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks