• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Training For Licensed Trainees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles Hundley

Freshman Member
I'm one of the newbies who put up a post a while back for a mentor. Still looking, and in the midst of sending out my minute qualifications (state licensed trainee,basically) a software co. --a la mode-- gives me a call and after trying to sell me, gives me a name and website of a guy who supposedly mentors trainees, among other appraisal services. His name is Russ Freeman and website is: http://www. removed by moderator .com. I visited his website, clicked on 'appraiser trainee', and quite frankly, folks, I've been around the block a few times and it sure sounds like "pie in the sky" to me---especially if I sign up for his 3 day, $1500 seminar. Could I impose upon any one of you to check it out and see if you can find anything there that might be helpful? My biggest concern are claims like "you can be in the field collecting 100% appraisal fees after the seminar". Now, I wasn't potty-trained in 3 days. I need hands-on experience. I live in SW Riverside Co., CA so, George, I'd be happy to do a 'ride-a-long' to learn the nuts-and-bolts. Thanks guys!

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
My response: :angry: heavy sigh!

I have no comment. "We can get around..." that should be a red flag, but does anybody really care?

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
oh, that site is good.....I'm glad I'm already an "appraiser" so I can do work for "lenders"

Don't walk away from this deal, it's a good one to really get some exercise by running the hell away from those people!!!!!

Charles Hundley

Freshman Member
:redface: Okay, I've only read three, suspected this sort of response, but I'm still red in the face! But, hey, I'm glad you're here setting me straight!

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Sorry, Charlie!

I mean, I really am very sorry.... and disgusted.... and angry.... and discouraged....

A nice large group, some appraisers, doing more harm to the rest of us.

Don't be embarrassed. I'm glad you posted this. It's something the ASC, Appraisal Foundation and your state board need to see.

Dee Dee

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
What I want to know is WHY AlaMode is hooked up with this guy! :angry:

Is this some gimmick to push their software?
Are they advocating this type of 'training'?
Are we to expect more ads like this in the future from their 'Reseller Networks'?

Tater Salad

Professional Status
State
Missouri
--my aluminum clipboard and Lufkin 100 Ft tape didn't cost me $75.00! This sounds like a bad infomercial.

Is Mr. Biggers following this thread? What's up with this! Why is alamode affiliated with this? Since Charles was directed to this website by alamode, it is hard to believe that they are unaware of this guys practices. I'm disgusted.

Mr. Biggers, where are you?

Charles Hundley

Freshman Member
Charles here again. Thanks again for all of your responses and fyi, a la mode DID suggest this guy. Here comes the whistleblower in me. :ph34r: Bart Terrell, Sr. Sales, [email protected] or www.alaterrell.com. Even got his phone# if you want. But, hey, thanks again for saving me from having to wade through all this crap. Great site this! Keep up the feedback. It's great to know someone w/experience is listening. That's all I'm trying to gain at this point---experience.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
Wow. I would love to say "I guess things are different in California," but I imagine that there are groups like this in many areas. Yuck. The above advice to run, not walk, is very sound.

Maybe a resident of California ought to pass this site along to the board, just so they can be aware that the current requirements are simply an obstacle to get around.

Take a class and learn how to select comparables...now you are set. Shudder...Shudder...

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I am very disappointed that A la mode is giving this company some run.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks