• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Trashed Interior...how Do You Report This?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barry Kirsch

Freshman Member
House looks great on the outside, comps support the value... but the inside is trashed... nothing structurally, just piles of trash, evidence of pet territory markage, etc...question is... how do i report this? I am thinking an addendum... but I am not sure how to word it!

any help would be appriciated!

Thanks!

Barry :eyecrazy:

Liz South

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
My standard comment when there is alot of trash and/or personal property inside the dwelling is

"Due to the accumulation of personal property within the dwelling, the appraiser was unable to clearly view the entire dwelling. The appraiser assumes no liability for parts of the dwelling which they were unable to access due to the accumulation of personal property".

I also then address that the dwelling suffers from deferred maintenance including, but not limited to:
the dwelling needs to be cleaned etc.

My big question when I see this situation ( and I see it regularly) is that have they been doing regular maintenance to the dwelling or have they been ignoring routine maintenance.

Liz S.

wyecoyote

Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Washington
This piles of trash is one thing. I am assuming that it is heaping to the ceiling you may want to include a cost to cure item IE.. Rubish removal $500. The pet territory markings are another thing all together. Depending on the pet and time of markings may or may not require someone to remove the floor covering to the subfloor and/or even the floor joists. This you will have to come to a conclusion yourself on what you observed. When in doubt take interior photo's. I do on every file. To the point on one file of mine a client called when I did not include the interior photo's and wanted to see them. Thought I was hiding something. Just did not include because in the one there was a religous item didn't notice at the time, the other you could see me standing there in the mirror, and the last one just did not turn out.

Ryan

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
In addition to the comments above, I'd take lots of photos (not any additional cost with a digital camera) and add something like:
The structure is a single family residence. Floor/ceiling structures in the typical home are generally not designed to hold such stresses of excessive personal property. An engineering inspection is highly recommended.

I have seen so much stuff piled up, that I thought the house could collapse at any moment. Seen it happen too....... in a church building that stored too much stuff in the attic. The old historical building is no more. ;)

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Alabama
Interior photos. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I have only had one that was really bad but I just walked on that one. Outside looked average with some differed maintenance. Inside looked like a warehouse. Dinning room litterly had a path around the dinning room table. The rest of the floor space was filled with boxes of "stuff".

Upstairs bedroom had flooded and drywall ceiling fell below and was in the floor in the laundry room. This had happened some time ago! Had to walk on clothes to get to the laundry room. It looked like REO except they lived there.

My favorite (wish I had taken a photo) was the big pipe cutter laying on the open oven door. The three day old (or more) chicken laying on the counter among all the other 'stuff'. And the owner pointing out the marble tile floor. :eyecrazy:

Take photo next time and include them in the report.

hal380

Professional Status
State
Connecticut
Just to add my $0.02, if it just clutter/trash/stuff, it would all be cleaned out as a typical condition of closing and therefore not an issue. If it involves pet urine/feces/odors etc, your copy of the sales agreement might indicate the correction as a condition of the sale, if so then the appraisal should be "As repaired". However if it prevents a proper inspection/view, that must be reported. I always take interior pics, whether I include them in the report or not.

The tone of your post here was that the inside was so different from the outside. If this were true I especially feel you must comment on it as you could be mis-leading the reader of your report.

We all know people are sometimes anxious about their housekeeping. If it is just normal clutter, I put them at ease by assuring them that I will not call Martha Stuart. That puts them at ease we both chuckle and we have a pleasant tour of the house.

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Oregon
Barry,

Try this in the additional features section of the form:

"piles of trash, evidence of pet territory markage"

Hope that helps, they're all reasonable adjectives.

elliott

Tater Salad

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
I used to carry a baby food jar with whole coffe beans in it to sniff after going into a house like that. It really clears that smell out of your nose. :huh:

The lender that sent me to those houses did it one too many times, and I no longer work for them. I've been lucky with my other clients (so far).

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
You're so PC.

How about:

The odor of what appears to be pet urine in the floor coverings and possibly in the lower walls and sub floor is strong.

What's wrong with telling it like it is?

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks