• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Tree Site Vs Cleared Site

Status
Not open for further replies.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
In a SFR appraisal I am working on, a comp sold lower than others- ( 60k less in a 500k price range.) The sites are all improved with houses, lot sizes are 4-6 acres; a high % of value is in the land as the houses are mid size average quality .. The lower price comp is 5 acres and heavily treed- the other comps are cleared lots dotted with a few trees as landscaping . I emailed the RE agent and plan to call them on Monday. I am looking for opinions on whether you guys think cleared lots are worth more (I believe so), and if anyone has a ballpark idea what it costs to clear trees and grade/ plant grass .

The cost figures I see for clearing land are all over the place! And of course the prices jump around on the comps too in a wide range- thanks for reading and any replies. I just searched the vacant lot sales and cleared lots are selling for more so that is support....

Last edited:

Vermonter

Professional Status
State
Vermont
It would be market specific, but around here I've seen it both ways depending on the neighborhood and homes. 4-6 acres is large enough that most would want some mature trees on the property. Here it would be for maple sap and firewood....there I'm assuming shade?

David S. Roberson

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
It would be market specific, but around here I've seen it both ways depending on the neighborhood and homes. 4-6 acres is large enough that most would want some mature trees on the property. Here it would be for maple sap and firewood....there I'm assuming shade?
That's fantastic! Do people actually make their own maple syrup? Makes me want to move to Vermont!

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida

Some trees are there on the cleared lot, but the lower price comp is heavily treed except for the area around house, which leads to less usable land for pastures or other typical use in area.No ,maple syrup production at least that I am area of this area of FL or need for firewood- sounds nice though![

Tom4value

Professional Status
State
Massachusetts
Generally, functional utility (usable space) plays a role in value but I find it hard to believe that it affected the price by over 10 percent. If I were you, I would look at something else as to why it sold for $60k less, like condition or an overly motivated seller.

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Generally, functional utility (usable space) plays a role in value but I find it hard to believe that it affected the price by over 10 percent. If I were you, I would look at something else as to why it sold for $60k less, like condition or an overly motivated seller.

I am going to look into those possibilities and also get feedback from RE agent assuming I can reach them. The condition and size of Lower price sale house is similar to a house in contract for 75k more...because of the large acreage size, cost to clear and lack of usable land might impact value more than on a smaller lt- but I am looking at other factors as well..

techbiker

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
General Public
State
Texas
In a SFR appraisal I am working on, a comp sold lower than others- ( 60k less in a 500k price range.) The sites are all improved with houses, lot sizes are 4-6 acres; a high % of value is in the land as the houses are mid size average quality .. The lower price comp is 5 acres and heavily treed- the other comps are cleared lots dotted with a few trees as landscaping . I emailed the RE agent and plan to call them on Monday. I am looking for opinions on whether you guys think cleared lots are worth more (I believe so), and if anyone has a ballpark idea what it costs to clear trees and grade/ plant grass .

The cost figures I see for clearing land are all over the place! And of course the prices jump around on the comps too in a wide range- thanks for reading and any replies. I just searched the vacant lot sales and cleared lots are selling for more so that is support....

Trees can be fairly expensive to clear (up to $4000 an acre perhaps). Some factors that may affect cost are types of trees and brush present, local regulations, and the slope of the site. You might be able to find a logging company that will clear valuable trees at no cost.

Are 4/5 acres covered with non-native trees and invasive brush? How dense is the brush under the trees? 4 acres filled with poisonous invasive brush and non-native trees are practically worthless unless cleared in my opinion.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Trees are good. They provide shade and oxygen.
Trees are a pain, they throw down leaves, sticks, and sap. Clog your gutters.
The birds in the trees throw down their own sap, none of it is good for your car.
My daughter told me their insurance company required them to thin the trees on their property. Too many!
They did not complain about the poison ivy, that is her issue apparently. :shrug:

Terraform

Professional Status
State
Florida
cleared lots sell for more in any market

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks