• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Trump tax cut didn't save me money

Zoe

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Tennessee
Looking at my tax, I see Trump tax cut didn't save me money.
State tax and itemized deductions taken away, I didn't save that much overall. Ugh.
I hope Congress bring back deductions for my state income tax.
Are you getting more interest in your real estate? I hope you are.

Fernando

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
$600 ...That's All? I think CA should give low income including undocumented somewhere between $1,000 to $2,000 a month.
That's universal income and has been done in some cities like Stockton.
One study said about 28% of them were helped from their low income situation into finding a job.

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
Are you getting more interest in your real estate? I hope you are.
I'm not getting any interest in my real estate but I'm getting 0.3% interest on my money market funds. Wish it was higher. Have to pay taxes on that 0.3%.

IVCA

Professional Status
State
California
One study said about 28% of them were helped from their low income situation into finding a job.

How exactly do you go about proving that a specific government handout helps someone get a job?

And if you can answer that, the next question is whether the handout kept people from seeking or accepting jobs. And how could you prove that one way or another?

Based on my personal observation, the people inclined to look for work, will find such aid useful. But a hell of a lot will take advantage of it to feed their laziness.

Further, those inclined to work, will eventually find work, one way or another.

So, that study you mention, IMO is probably flawed.

But, if you live in California, and want to get a license to carry a concealed weapon, you might consider moving to Stockton. Or is it Modesto? Yea, I know of people who went and lived there for a while, got their license and then moved back to the Bay Area. Women do that. For their purse. Well, to be honest I don't know them, I just pick up stories at Sportsman's Warehouse, standing in one of those lines for hours waiting to buy ammo that you find out doesn't exist.

But it's all getting better they say. I haven't seen it yet myself.

Last edited:

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
How exactly do you go about proving that a specific government handout helps someone get a job?

And if you can answer that, the next question is whether the handout kept people from seeking or accepting jobs. And how could you prove that one way or another?

Based on my personal observation, the people inclined to look for work, will find such aid useful. But a hell of a lot will take advantage of it to feed their laziness.

Further, those inclined to work, will eventually find work, one way or another.

So, that study you mention, IMO is probably flawed.

But, if you live in California, and want to get a license to carry a concealed weapon, you might consider moving to Stockton. Or is it Modesto? Yea, I know of people who went and lived there for a while, got their license and then moved back to the Bay Area. Women do that. For their purse.
I didn't see the study in detail but I think i'ts to justify that the universal income program is working.
Stockton was first city to implement such a program and I don't know if it's the best way to spend our tax dollars.
I hear Oakland wants to do something like that.

IVCA

Professional Status
State
California
I didn't see the study in detail but I think i'ts to justify that the universal income program is working.
Stockton was first city to implement such a program and I don't know if it's the best way to spend our tax dollars.
I hear Oakland wants to do something like that.

My wife's company went through a major layoff in March/April - and she was on a contract, so she didn't have priority. Anyway she has been on unemployment since April 7 and still hasn't received a single check. Of course, it's the typical incompetence of the EDD I suppose. But, I have never seen it this bad. They keep coming up with one excuse after the other. They don't communicate, they don't answer the phone 98% of the time. If you sit around all day long and keep calling them, you may by chance get hold of someone. You can send an email and get a daffy reply, that things are slow because of the pandemic, which actually has pretty much ended.

I think they are simply running out of money. So, between incompetence and running out of money, the Democrats are a bad bet.

Whatever the reason, companies see that they cannot rely on a stable workforce (they cannot find people to work at reasonable wages with these lucrative handouts). So companies will move more quickly to automation. - Which will make things worse for many people.

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
I feel sorry for people dealing with the EDD. I hear stories they are on the phone for a long time or can't get through.
It's terrible how inefficient EDD is and making those in need go through this experience.
I always put the blame eventually going to the top. That's why the governor recall has gained traction.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I was not suggesting Universal Income. I was stating the Individual Stimulus amount was to low!

If you want to know why I stated what I did? Simple I was trying to learn where even you would begin to push back or at least object a little.

Your State and for that matter any State Can't print money. All they can do is borrow money or go the Feds and get money that was printed or confiscated from other States.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I feel sorry for people dealing with the EDD. I hear stories they are on the phone for a long time or can't get through.
It's terrible how inefficient EDD is and making those in need go through this experience.
I always put the blame eventually going to the top. That's why the governor recall has gained traction.
Your Governor is going through a Recall because of his double standard when it comes to Covid Lock-Downs. He is an Elitist. Just like Michigan's Governor Whitmer.

Your Governor got Caught at the French Laundry. Whitmer got caught going to the Land of the Free State of Florida.

https://www.clickondetroit.com/news...-guidelines-to-quarantine-after-florida-trip/

Go on stay in line with the other Lemmings running off the cliff.

Attachments

• lemmings.jpg
    lemmings.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 1

Zoe

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I'm not getting any interest in my real estate but I'm getting 0.3% interest on my money market funds. Wish it was higher. Have to pay taxes on that 0.3%.
You have to be getting a little more interest in your properties with things opening back up. Do you have sign out or advertise?

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks