• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Tuesday, August 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wally Jones

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
It's marked on my calendar!

Dennis J. Black ASA IFAS

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
It is my intention to be there. Now I just need to clear my damn desk to a reasonable height.

jeff samolinski

Pam and others:

I appreciate the time and effort that you all give by going to these meetings. The info that you guys and gals pass along is most appreciated. Maybe I am getting to be a stubborn middle aged coot but beyond having 1 of us there for each meeting to report what's going on I see little reason to go to these meetings and watch them beat up on a few bad appraisers that may need a kick in the pants and worse yet beat up on some appraiser who made a mistake. I understand that it would be nice to meet all of you and commisurate in person(I would probably learn more from that than any meeting).

My proposal on attending these meetings would be centered around getting something done about lender pressure and holding this board's feet to the fire to get something done about it instead on long discussions about whether distance learning should be allowed or education requirements to be an appraiser should be x hours of class and a doctorate degree etc...

Is anyone interested in drafting a statement to the board regarding the problems of lender pressure which would include specific ideas on how to deal with it? There have been several posts on this forum that have offered some good ideas in this area. The idea could be expanded to include others on the forum that could go to there boards with the same message so that would have some more weight to our positions. The only thing I am worried about with this idea, is the potential for repurcussions(too lazy to spell check this word) from the board. I would not want to become the subject of an investigation by the board for being a rabble rouser, however I am tired of the regulatory agencies in this business expecting appraisers to maintain such a high standard of ethics when every other profession that is part of this business is allowed to pressure us. In my opinion, it is too much to expect the lowly appraiser to be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the entire process especially when maintaining that integrity most often translates to a loss of your job if not at least a loss in income.

I am ready to put some time into trying to refocus this Board's emphasis on new rules, new sanctions and new requirements that punish appraisers to some new rules on appraisers that afford us some protection, ie.... how bout they promote a state law that requires appraisal fees to be paid for up front by whoever the client is? Since I have gone almost all COD for most brokers I have had little problem in dealing with value pressure from them. Oh they still try but since I've got my money I am able to produce an appraisal that reflects my unbiased opinion.

I am tired of the appraisal regulatory agencies sending me into a gunfight with just a knife!!!! It's time they gave us the tools we need to do a credible job and ba able to stay in business.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
State
Florida
Originally posted by Pamela Crowley (Florida)@Jul 20 2003, 08:02 AM
Next FREAB meeting is coming up.

Tuesday, August 5th

If you haven't been there, please plan on going!!!!

If you have been there, you already know how worthwhile it is. Please plan on going!!!!

Those that come in Monday night, we stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown:

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/6c/1/en/h.../mcooa?irs=null

Remember to ask for a discount.
Hi All,

The preliminary indication is new rules will be discussed on Monday afternoon, August 4, 2003.

As soon as the details are firmed up, I'll post them here.

Frank

Dale Smalley

Professional Status
State
Florida
Jeff
You need to go to at least one. It is a real eye opener and I am sure it will change your opinion. For me one was enough.

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Jeff,

You write about the extreme frustrations we all face. You write about somebody doing something about it.

Attending the Board meetings is a good beginning. It's not everything and the boards hands have been tied for a long time. With the new legislation just passed, the board now has rule making authority that they didn't have before and wants/needs the input from us to continue to push for better rules to help all of us. One can't do it all, but many of us working together can start and continue what has been started to make it better.

Attending the Board meetings is a good beginning.

jeff samolinski

My point is that I do not want to merely attend. I would like us to get together and have a specific agenda that we can push to the board. We need to be on the agenda not just attending the meeting. I think we can use this forum to develop the agenda we want to push and I would be willing to put in whatever time it takes to do that. Lets lead not follow!

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
OK Jeff!

You have my phone number, I believe. If not, it's 904-215-1222.

You just have to understand that the Board can do just so much. Much of what we'd like to see done they can't do. I do like your idea of the Board promoting some more effective legislation or 'rules' for lenders doing business in this state and might be something they can do.

Francois K. Gregoire

Professional Status
State
Florida
Jeff,

Let's see if some of your points can be addressed.

I see little reason to go to these meetings and watch them beat up on a few bad appraisers that may need a kick in the pants and worse yet beat up on some appraiser who made a mistake. I understand that it would be nice to meet all of you and commisurate in person(I would probably learn more from that than any meeting).

Based upon my experience and comments from other folks attending meetings of the Florida Real Estate Appraisal Board, you will learn from attending a meeting. In addition, you can earn Continuing Education Credit for attending.

My proposal on attending these meetings would be centered around getting something done about lender pressure and holding this board's feet to the fire to get something done about it instead on long discussions about whether distance learning should be allowed or education requirements to be an appraiser should be x hours of class and a doctorate degree etc...

The Florida Real Estate Appraisal Board is fully informed about the issue of Lender Pressure on Appraisers. Remember, four members of the FREAB are appraisers and two of those are residential appraisers. Members of the Board have been interviewed and quoted several times in newspaper and trade publications on the subject. The facts are, however, that the FREAB regulates Real Estate Appraisers, not lenders, mortgage brokers, mortgage bankers or real estate brokers and salespersons. What, exactly, would you have the FREAB do?

In addition, the FREAB does not determine the number of hours of education needed to become a Trainee or a Certified Appraiser. This is determined by the Florida Legislature and follows the Appraiser Qualification Criteria developed by the Appraiser Qualifications Board of the Appraisal Foundation.

The only thing I am worried about with this idea, is the potential for repurcussions(too lazy to spell check this word) from the board. I would not want to become the subject of an investigation by the board for being a rabble rouser, however I am tired of the regulatory agencies in this business expecting appraisers to maintain such a high standard of ethics when every other profession that is part of this business is allowed to pressure us. In my opinion, it is too much to expect the lowly appraiser to be responsible for maintaining the integrity of the entire process especially when maintaining that integrity most often translates to a loss of your job if not at least a loss in income.

Rest assured, the FREAB has neither the time nor the inclination to encourage the DBPR to investigate soemone for merely speaking up at a meeting. There's too many legitimate complaints to spend time with. In addition, speaking up at meetings is encouraged. Attendance at meetings is encouraged as well.

With respect to maintaining a high standard of ethics in the face of pressure from other groups you deal with.....sorry, that's what is expected of appraisers, plain and simple. It is the epitome of what we do. Would there be a need for the services we appraisers provide if EVERYONE in the deal adhered to a lofty standard of conduct?

I am ready to put some time into trying to refocus this Board's emphasis on new rules, new sanctions and new requirements that punish appraisers to some new rules on appraisers that afford us some protection, ie.... how bout they promote a state law that requires appraisal fees to be paid for up front by whoever the client is? Since I have gone almost all COD for most brokers I have had little problem in dealing with value pressure from them. Oh they still try but since I've got my money I am able to produce an appraisal that reflects my unbiased opinion.

Everything suggested here, Jeff, is a business decision. Appraisers are free to require their clients to pay up front. Appraisers are free to negotiate their own terms with their clientel. It's unlikely the Florida Legislature would enact a law such as you propose.

In each of the last two regular sessions of the Legislature, there has been an appraiser's lien law proposed. It has not made it out of committees and has never been heard on the floor.

I am tired of the appraisal regulatory agencies sending me into a gunfight with just a knife!!!! It's time they gave us the tools we need to do a credible job and ba able to stay in business.

Keep in mind, the responsibility of the FREAB is to regulate appraisers and protect the public. What tools do you need from the FREAB?

Along with the others here in the Florida Appraisers Section, allow me to encourage you to attend a meeting. You will find it entertaining, informative, enlightening and educational.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks