• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Two appraisers voiced their opinion about the agreement

Status
Not open for further replies.

moh malekpour

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-appraise4mar04,1,7050354.story
Some appraisers, however, said the agreement, which takes effect at the start of next year, was unlikely to solve the problem.

Banks will continue to put unspoken pressure on appraisers to value homes at desired levels, said Bill King, owner of ValueOne Appraisal in Federal Way, Wash.

"It's going to be a long time before the fundamental way business gets done gets changed," King said.

And many appraisers still will do as banks and brokers ask because they want to keep getting hired, said Steve Smith, an appraiser in San Bernardino who has been critical of the industry.

"There are more ethical appraisers who have been put out of business than there are appraisers who remain in business," Smith said
I have to agree with both of them.

Last edited:

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I agree with them, this is not a "Magic Bullet". Unless the secondary market changes the way it does buisiness, and requires loans to be seasoned for two or three years, nothing will change.

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Why should we expect someone else to police this business when the OFFICIAL policemen have chosen not to?

Karl

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Arizona
"Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac also agreed to pay $24 million to fund an oversight board to monitor compliance with the agreement. The new body would operate a hotline for homeowners and appraisers to lodge allegations of wrongdoing"

Who is putting up the 24 Million & who is in charge of the keys???

Hal Mann

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
Willful Neglect

Why should we expect someone else to police this business when the OFFICIAL policemen have chosen not to?
This all reminds me of the debate over gun control laws. For them or against them, if they would bother to enforce the ones already on the books, there'd be no need for new ones.

Thank you, UC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks