• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Typo A USPAP Violation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

imjiminnh

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New Hampshire
I completed a narrative analysis of value impact on the residential area surrounding a small sand excavation operation (no specific opinion of value presented or requested), but when the cover page was added, data from a previous appraisal was added, including a value # was transferred on that page. I've sent the client a revised form, but copies may be in others hands. Would this be considered to be a USPAP violation?

Meandering

Elite Member
Professional Status
Real Estate Agent or Broker
State
Pennsylvania
Good question.

Did you additionally request the client to send the revision to the other named intended users of your report?

Perfection is not a guaranty. You made a mistake, you corrected the mistake, you notified the client, you asked them to notify the intended users.

What more could anyone ask of a human?

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
You are not an anesthesiologist...you've done what you need to do.
6d83c09c5f00ff444fc93ae735b5dd64.jpg

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Does it just show up on the cover page, but not in subject line for for value opinion? Since you explained and corrected it, then if that is the case you should be okay (imo, hopefully )

imjiminnh

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
The intended users were the owners of the proposed sand excavation operation, the town planning board members received copies. They did not like that there was no appreciable difference in values in a nearby competing area with a similar operation. They hired their own appraiser (highly gentrified, this town wants no development of any kind other than big houses), who apparently has found nothing wrong with the data, so sent me an email that I'd committed a "huge USPAP violation" . I immediately disclosed the error and resent to the client. I admit the error, but wonder if this would rise to the level of a competency violation.

imjiminnh

Professional Status
State
New Hampshire
It is just on the cover page, there was no opinion of value developed in the report.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I completed a narrative analysis of value impact on the residential area surrounding a small sand excavation operation (no specific opinion of value presented or requested), but when the cover page was added, data from a previous appraisal was added, including a value # was transferred on that page. I've sent the client a revised form, but copies may be in others hands. Would this be considered to be a USPAP violation?

No, a simple mistake, explained to the client, and corrected with a revised report would not be a USPAP violation.

We all make mistakes now and then.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Would this be considered to be a USPAP violation?
I never thought missing a due date would be a USPAP violation but the Oregon State Board feels differently. We all make mistakes, but it's up to the state board if a complaint is filed. IMO a revised report should be fine, but don't discount the fact you communicated an opinion of value. It wasn't on a napkin but I'm sure you see the similarity.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I never thought missing a due date would be a USPAP violation but the Oregon State Board feels differently. We all make mistakes, but it's up to the state board if a complaint is filed. IMO a revised report should be fine, but don't discount the fact you communicated an opinion of value. It wasn't on a napkin but I'm sure you see the similarity.

Although I do not agree with the Oregon Board, it could more easily be construed to be a violation based on an agreed scope of work where you agreed to a certain due date. In my opinion, that could easily be resolved by notifying the client of any delays, and what they are based on. I also believe that we have to be extra careful when "cloning" a report. It is very, very easy to overlook something in such cases. I have started using a "merge" of forms instead of cloning. I can, for example, use a simple cut and past to put certain things such as an addenda page in a merged report, and if I am using a comp i have used in an earlier report my software lets me know that and I have the option of transferring it into the new report.

Non Sequitur

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Louisiana
Although I do not agree with the Oregon Board, it could more easily be construed to be a violation based on an agreed scope of work where you agreed to a certain due date. In my opinion, that could easily be resolved by notifying the client of any delays, and what they are based on. I also believe that we have to be extra careful when "cloning" a report. It is very, very easy to overlook something in such cases. I have started using a "merge" of forms instead of cloning. I can, for example, use a simple cut and past to put certain things such as an addenda page in a merged report, and if I am using a comp i have used in an earlier report my software lets me know that and I have the option of transferring it into the new report.
Don I agree with you. I mentioned the Oregon board to illustrate that things aren't as cut and dry as we [appraisers] would like. The OP did communicate an opinion of value, mistake or not it's there. He made a mistake, and honestly I've committed similar mistakes, but he was called out by another appraiser so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the issue. He did the only thing he could do by notifying his client and submitting another report, honestly it's not like there's anything else to do. It's one of those things that makes this profession so stressful, one mistake may be the one that nails you. It sucks and is why I would like to see a roll back of the regulatory mess that we now have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks