• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

U.S. States people are Leaving in Droves

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
No surprise that IL is the #2 state on this list. It is really having an effect on RE values. I appraised a property in the county that has the highest % decrease in population since 2010 in the state a month or two ago, and it is like a huge vacuum on momentum. Compare that to a college town here where the enrollment has increased significantly over the past 10 - 15 years that has some land values north of $250/ SF. The other location might not have a $2.50/ SF site lol

Reactions: DTB

Pittsburgh Pete

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
No surprise that IL is the #2 state on this list. It is really having an effect on RE values. I appraised a property in the county that has the highest % decrease in population since 2010 in the state a month or two ago, and it is like a huge vacuum on momentum. Compare that to a college town here where the enrollment has increased significantly over the past 10 - 15 years that has some land values north of $250/ SF. The other location might not have a $2.50/ SF site lol
With family farms coming on hard times, the population in farming areas is declining. Mega-farms are becoming the norm sending former family farmers to other areas to seek a living.

Gobears81

Professional Status
State
Illinois
With family farms coming on hard times, the population in farming areas is declining. Mega-farms are becoming the norm sending former family farmers to other areas to seek a living.
There's certainly plenty of college kids going out of state and not coming back. In the town that I work in, there would be a different dynamic such as in the Downtown with a more prominent "young professionals" crowd, but that isn't really a large portion of the population. Agriculture certainly comprises a huge part of land usage in IL but if you look at the total workforce, agriculture is pretty low on the list. Manufacturing has been stagnant at best and typically declining, which is more of an issue. But in most areas, it is just attrition from a number of factors driving the population change (relocating for jobs, college kids leaving, deaths, etc). People talk of residents leaving because of the property taxes and maybe that is still a factor but you don't actually hear that many specific instances of residents leaving for that reason

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
North Carolina
There's certainly plenty of college kids going out of state and not coming back. In the town that I work in, there would be a different dynamic such as in the Downtown with a more prominent "young professionals" crowd, but that isn't really a large portion of the population. Agriculture certainly comprises a huge part of land usage in IL but if you look at the total workforce, agriculture is pretty low on the list. Manufacturing has been stagnant at best and typically declining, which is more of an issue. But in most areas, it is just attrition from a number of factors driving the population change (relocating for jobs, college kids leaving, deaths, etc). People talk of residents leaving because of the property taxes and maybe that is still a factor but you don't actually hear that many specific instances of residents leaving for that reason
The issue of taxes is when your population decreases demand for services does not necessarily go down proportionately. Reason is Po'azz people are stuck their, and they typically are the highest users of all services.

This is why I have a problem with my County/City. Our population is increasing with Higher Paid Households. Tax base is increasing. We just had a Re-eval. Yet the baffoons I have in office are not even hinting of a tax reduction. Its even more unjustifiable because our lower income class are doing much much better, putting less demand on Social services, lower unemployment, less food stamps, welfare etc Time to Vote them out!

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Arkansas
No surprise that IL is the #2 state on this list.
Taxes too high paying for over priced state retirement packages...
Agriculture certainly comprises a huge part of land usage in IL but if you look at the total workforce, agriculture is pretty low on the list.
But according to Mark, farmers are whiny over-paid, over-protected morons making way too much money... and crop insurance is better than a winning lottery ticket. Wonder why middle aged white farmers are committing suicide at 50% higher rates than they did in the late 70s, early 80s farm crisis. The problem all farmers have is mobility. If they aren't near enough to town to attract a developer's cash, then packing up and moving is usually only costing you a year's crop and not saving you anything. And if not done exactly right with 3 lawyers and 2 accountants, you could be left with a huge tax burden. This is especially true for hog, dairy and poultry operations were accelerated depreciation results in huge capital gains taxes.

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Law enforcement encouraged the sanctuary city policies.
Gee, I wonder why. Maybe rounding up all up the illegals for deportation keeps them busy and equates to better job security?

Last edited:

DTB

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
Taxes too high paying for over priced state retirement packages...
But according to Mark, farmers are whiny over-paid, over-protected morons making way too much money... and crop insurance is better than a winning lottery ticket. Wonder why middle aged white farmers are committing suicide at 50% higher rates than they did in the late 70s, early 80s farm crisis. The problem all farmers have is mobility. If they aren't near enough to town to attract a developer's cash, then packing up and moving is usually only costing you a year's crop and not saving you anything. And if not done exactly right with 3 lawyers and 2 accountants, you could be left with a huge tax burden. This is especially true for hog, dairy and poultry operations were accelerated depreciation results in huge capital gains taxes.
IME of having a lake house for 25+ years in an area surrounded by farms, Mark is on the right track.
Today's (crop) farmer is not the overworked farmer of yesteryear. They work a heck of a lot fewer hours than I did.

Their issue is taking on too much debt with all the fancy implements.

Agree on your mobility issues.
Why the high suicides? Debt, no future, the kids want nothing to do with the legacy the farmer thought he was leaving.

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Gee, I wonder why. Maybe rounding up all up the illegals for deportation keeps them busy and equates to better job security?
That's just dumb. Q.E.D.

Community policing.

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
That's just dumb. Q.E.D.

Community policing.
Agreed:giggle: considering that CA is almost always broke and on the verge of bankruptcy every little bit helps. $502 million is a nice chunk of change and a tempting reason to go the sanctuary route.

Sanctuary Cities Targeted by zzz Receive Billions in Federal Funds.
More than 100 sanctuary cities across America received a total of $27 billion in federal funds in one year, according to a new study.

23BF183B-8BD7-4527-AC92-8F0C10D69AB4.jpeg

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks