• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Underwriter request: FOUR MORE COMPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gunder

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Minnesota
2 closed within the past 60 days, one pending & one active.

Here is the email I just composed for my client--I just need some affirmation/advice from here before I click send! Thank you...

Dear Mr. Client,

I have given this quite a bit of thought and research.

As for two closed sales within 60 days, I searched a 2.5 mile radius and there is only one sale that I would use. It is already in the appraisal as comp 1. I cannot manufacture comps that will meet these guidelines. As for pending & active listings, they contribute exactly nothing to a sales comparison analysis. I have provided a thoughtful analysis and adequate support for my value opinion (which, in all honesty, I believe is conservative), but there is no additional support to be had. If this request is coming from an underwriter with a checklist, their checklist needs to be more realistic. If this request is based on a reviewer stating a value opinion different from mine, they must have conclusive evidence that my opinion is not accurate (item #6 on page 3 of the FNMA field review form). I’ve done my job, and I have to stand by my work.

I hope I don’t lose your business over this, Mr. Client, but I am going to have to consider this matter closed.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I wouldn't use the term conservative, it might infer a certain bias. Well supported works better.

Jerry Bone Jr

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon

Here is the email I just composed for my client--I just need some affirmation/advice from here before I click send! Thank you...

Dear Mr. Client,

As for two closed sales within 60 days, I searched a 2.5 mile radius and there is only one sale that I would use. It is already in the appraisal as comp 1. I cannot manufacture comps that will meet these guidelines. As for pending & active listings, they contribute exactly nothing to a sales comparison analysis. I have provided a thoughtful analysis and adequate support for my value opinion (which, in all honesty, I believe is conservative), but there is no additional support to be had. If this request is coming from an underwriter with a checklist, their checklist needs to be more realistic. If this request is based on a reviewer stating a value opinion different from mine, they must have conclusive evidence that my opinion is not accurate (item #6 on page 3 of the FNMA field review form). I’ve done my job, and I have to stand by my work.

I hope I don’t lose your business over this, Mr. Client, but I am going to have to consider this matter closed.
If I were "Mr.Client", this would be the last appraisal you would do for me.

gunder

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
If I were "Mr.Client", this would be the last appraisal you would do for me.

I wouldn't be a huge loss. I have only done one prior assignment for this individual, and it came with value pressure. And if this type of request is what I should expect from his files, I'm not sure I want to work for him anyway.

leelansford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
...As for pending & active listings, they contribute exactly nothing to a sales comparison analysis...

RE: Your statement above...

Do you mean this as a generality, or, in this particular instance, there are no reasonable market substitutes for the Subject that are either a pending sale or an active listing?

CBBoston

Professional Status
General Public
State
Massachusetts
Pending sales and active listings might give you some usable info particularily if they are lower that the previous sales. That might indicate an even further declining market. I know that may muddy the waters even further with regard to current value but if I was a lender I would want to know that.

CURT VAN HOOSER

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California

Dear Mr. Client,

Opinions vary... At any rate, your tone seems less than helpful. You could just direct them to you comments on page three of the URAR (or whatever page you use) that explains the lack of recent sales and why you used the sales you used and made the adjustments you made. It is what it is... You can't get blood out of a turnip...

gunder

Freshman Member
Professional Status
State
Minnesota
Pendings and actives are not sales, and I am not able to predict what their selling prices will be, so I don't think it is appropriate to give them consideration in a sales comparison.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Somebody send gunder the memo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks