• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Underwriter request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Brooks

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Indiana
I just received an underwriter condition "to verify attic was inspected ". The house is only one year old. I inspected the attic. Do I need to start including photos or something? I guess I just waste my time and respond with "yes I inspected the attic". I told the loan officer it would an inspection fee to go back for a photo. Are they going to ask me to verify the electric box next? Or verify the tile floor in the kitchen? What is going on?

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Ohio
Sounds like job security issue on their part. As long as you do "head & shoulders" viewing then you have met HUD's requirement.

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
One of my condition comments:

"Roof shingles are in average condition with no leakage or water damage observed on the interior walls or ceilings or in the attic space."

Scott Brooks

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
Thanks for the comments

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I do a lot of CYA, and I usually take a picture while I'm up there. Of course the ONE TIME I forgot last week, I get a call for the photo. I was going to be back down there the next day, so it was no big deal, but at the rate its going, we will be doing narrative reports with a form thrown in within a few years............

Doug Meyer

Professional Status
State
Indiana
I alway try to take 2 attic photos for my FHA reports, you are not taking photos?

Scott Brooks

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Indiana
I suppose I should start including a photo album. That will probably help.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
I try to take at least 1 attic photo and 1 crawl space to document that I have meet FHA SOW. You are there anyway, Digital photos and pdf ink are relatively inexpensive, so why not? Same thing with interior photos, I have started taking them whether requested or required or not. I might not include them in the report, but some wise arse has questions about conditon or whether I didn't inspect something, I have evidence to the contrary. CYA, its a good thing.:icon_mrgreen:

London

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
We take min. of 3 photos of the crawl space and attic. Stick them in the work file. We don't include them in the appraisal report, but we do state the attic was inspected head to shoulders, and the photos are in appraiser's work file. Never have had a call on it.
A month ago, there was an appraiser who appraised a house I was buying, and they never inspected the attic, and there was no mention about it in the report. Why do I know this.....becuase there is no attic access. There was a list of things not mention in the report, that should have. For instance no hot water in master bath boom, chipping and peeling paint, Hot water heater with no overflow pipe, and sitting on the ground, it goes on and on.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I'm with the other posters here. Take the photos and put them in. It doesn't cost you anything extra to take them unless you are still using 35mm film. I usually put no less than 20 photos of the subject in my appraisal reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks