• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Unfinished Basement w/out Stairs

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
I once did a creepy scary old Victorian that was well over a 100 years old in Los Angeles up in the Hills. When I arrived I was met at the door by a creepy guy who looked like lurch in the Adams Family . He asked me what I needed to do. I explained I had to measure the exterior and then come inside and look at the rooms and take photos. When I got done with the exterior I knocked on the solid oak door and he invited me in. I asked him if anyone was in the house beside him and was it OK to go upstairs- He looked at me and says nobody here but me-and the ghosts that live here with me. I laughed but he didn't think it was funny.

I go upstairs and its really creepy, all doors shut-windows covered with black like sheets, and like time had stopped in 1890. I go back down stairs and I said this house has a basement ? He says yes-and he took me to the door that lead to the stairs. I asked him if it was OK to go down there ? He asks me why ? I said just to see whats usable and whats not. He looks at me and says well you can go down there at your own risk but personally I don't even go down there because bad things happen down there. I am like does somebody live down there ? he says yes but they are not human, they are demons and ghosts.

I am like really you expect me to believe that ? He responds with well my late grandmother said it had a curse placed on it by a witch in the late 1800s and many-bad things have happened down there over the years. I asked him how long he had lived there and he said since he was born or around 70 years ago. He said as a kid he would hear-screams and crying and things banging on the walls and when he was a kid not even his two large German Shepherds would go down there. His mother forbid him from ever going down there and she had sealed the door shut with large nails and screws. I then asked him if he ever went down there ? He said heck no the only person in 50 years who has ever gone down there was a guy with the gas company and so he could inspect a gas line. He went down there and came running back up out of breath in less than 3 minutes screaming that something grabbed him by the arm and threw him into the wall-and chased him up the stairs. Then when he went to leave he asked the gas man to help him nail the door shut again- The gas man said no and ran to his truck and never came back. I asked him anymore weird stories, he responded with yeah, almost anyone I have ever let into this house took home a demon home with them. I am like how do you know that-he says because they would call me and say weird things were happening at their homes. I slept that night with my light on and will admit that place and him was weird-the house looked similar to the picture below.

View attachment 51530 1614796635738.png

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
I once did a creepy scary old Victorian that was well over a 100 years old in Los Angeles up in the Hills. When I arrived I was met at the door by a creepy guy who looked like lurch in the Adams Family . He asked me what I needed to do. I explained I had to measure the exterior and then come inside and look at the rooms and take photos. When I got done with the exterior I knocked on the solid oak door and he invited me in. I asked him if anyone was in the house beside him and was it OK to go upstairs- He looked at me and says nobody here but me-and the ghosts that live here with me. I laughed but he didn't think it was funny.

I go upstairs and its really creepy, all doors shut-windows covered with black like sheets, and like time had stopped in 1890. I go back down stairs and I said this house has a basement ? He says yes-and he took me to the door that lead to the stairs. I asked him if it was OK to go down there ? He asks me why ? I said just to see whats usable and whats not. He looks at me and says well you can go down there at your own risk but personally I don't even go down there because bad things happen down there. I am like does somebody live down there ? he says yes but they are not human, they are demons and ghosts.

I am like really you expect me to believe that ? He responds with well my late grandmother said it had a curse placed on it by a witch in the late 1800s and many-bad things have happened down there over the years. I asked him how long he had lived there and he said since he was born or around 70 years ago. He said as a kid he would hear-screams and crying and things banging on the walls and when he was a kid not even his two large German Shepherds would go down there. His mother forbid him from ever going down there and she had sealed the door shut with large nails and screws. I then asked him if he ever went down there ? He said heck no the only person in 50 years who has ever gone down there was a guy with the gas company and so he could inspect a gas line. He went down there and came running back up out of breath in less than 3 minutes screaming that something grabbed him by the arm and threw him into the wall-and chased him up the stairs. Then when he went to leave he asked the gas man to help him nail the door shut again- The gas man said no and ran to his truck and never came back. I asked him anymore weird stories, he responded with yeah, almost anyone I have ever let into this house took home a demon home with them. I am like how do you know that-he says because they would call me and say weird things were happening at their homes. I slept that night with my light on and will admit that place and him was weird-the house looked similar to the picture below.

View attachment 51530 1614796683456.png

Alsie35

Professional Status
State
Texas

View attachment 51530

OK, I'll bite - did you actually go down there and what did you see (besides cobwebs?) ;)

Alsie35

Professional Status
State
Texas
*Duplicate deleted* (Hazards of posting on the road w/spotty Wifi) :cautious:

Last edited:

Alsie35

Professional Status
State
Texas
*Duplicate deleted* (Hazards of posting on the road w/spotty Wifi)

Last edited:

Alsie35

Professional Status
State
Texas
*Duplicate deleted* (Hazards of posting on the road w/spotty Wifi) :cautious:

Last edited:

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Thanks! Will not mention it. So you don't think the fact that there are no steps leading down to the basement from inside the house will be an issue? There's foundation dirt where the steps were. I just wonder if they will ask me where the door from inside the house leads. I can tell them it's sealed off and have them take a look at the unfinished basement from the outside entry, if necessary.
Depending on how the door is secured it could be a potential safety issue.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks