• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Unfunded Pension Liability and Bailing Out Blue States

Elliott

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Oregon
The proposed Biden $2 Trillion Pandemic bill includes about $350 billion for "states." I doubt the detail of the distribution to the states is specified, but here is an older chart of the pre-pandemic amounts. I think the question is how small states with smaller debt feel about their children's money going to states who did a poorer job in creating un-funded pension plans.

Unfunded.jpg

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
The Basement Man has to do it he has no way- Maybe a "Virtual Bailout " )

alebrewer

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
Cuomo has estimated NY's deficit at between $14B and $61B through 2024 - this should help immensely!

IlliniApp

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Illinois
Hasn't the Fed already said they are simply going to monetize all of this new COVID borrowing? After a long absence, inflation is a-coming. Many years ago I foolishly believed that there was a chance that the federal debt could be reduced. Now, in the short term does it really matter if the debt is 27 or 30 trillion $? Some day there will be a day of reckoning, it's just a matter of when.

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Oregon has been kicking the PERS can down the road for decades. We are not in the top 10 but I am sure that Harris / Biden will bail them out.

Mejappz

Professional Status
State
Florida
Oregon has been kicking the PERS can down the road for decades. We are not in the top 10 but I am sure that Harris / Biden will bail them out.

No doubt. A good crime family protects its own.

Alsie35

Professional Status
State
Texas
These states should be forced to go bankrupt. The pain their mismanagement would cause downstream (aka to the holders of ridiculously large pension obligations) is the only thing that MIGHT force a change in government policy.

Except - that will never happen unless the whole economy is going down the tubes - because they will drag all of us down before they will reform these pension plans. As Jefferson adroitly observed, democracy ends as soon as people learn they can vote themselves $$$ from the public treasury. We are now seeing the same "government by bribe" that has been one of the historical hallmarks of the downward spiral of every great nation since history was invented.

Charles West

Professional Status
State
California
I doubt these states get bailed out. Joe's proposal has to pass the congress and that's going to be heavy lifting with the current configuration.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Joe's proposal has to pass the congress and that's going to be heavy lifting with the current configuration
Do you remember:
"You've got to pass it, to find out what's in it!"

It's the very same folks, just a different date on the calendar. There are even a few RINO members of the House & Senate to smooth the way, down the cattle chute, to the killing floor. All done in the name of equity and fairness.

Fernando

Professional Status
State
California
Pensions here take a big part of city's budgets. Years ago, government gave generous pensions. Maybe it was a way to attract employees from the private sector.
Now we are paying for it with most of city revenues paying the retirees leaving what's left for city services.
It's a problem that won't go away.

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks