• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Union!

Status
Not open for further replies.

C F CONANT

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Will everyone please consider this suggestion. I've been told it's next to impossible for 3 appraisers to agree on anything. Then tell me how we will ever dig our way out of this hole that these new regulations are throwing us into. Please check out this site. I'm proposing we form a union. I'm not sure this is the best site there is. If anyone knows a better one please let us know. There's strength in numbers. And we have to stick together. Otherwise we'll all be working for ten bucks an hour, if we're lucky. Our fees are cut in half. Has our liability been cut in half? Has our workload been cut in half? Who else takes a fifty percent cut in their paycheck without screaming about it. This is abuse to the highest degree!! We are being told that we cannot work for ourselves. We are being forced to work for AMC's, and I've been turned down by a number, saying they are all filled up. Is this Constitutional?Please give me your thoughts. Here is the site.
www.opeiu.org
Check this site out and maybe we can take control of our lives for a change!!

rbrienza

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Colorado
Why do we need a union most the people on this fourm complain about the AMC's and that they take 1/2 of the fees. And now you want to and a union... So they can take half of that... you really want to to an appriasal for 1/4 of the fee ($87.50) .... I know I do not want to do that. .... Have fun with that.

IN my opinion, union are not needed in this country.. they where needed at one time, but not now. (for your information, my grandfater and several of his brothers started a union in Colorado in the 1930's... )

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
(With regard to commercial appraisal ... there is no equivalent problem. Commercial appraisals are almost always constrained by more reliable income considerations, as the Income Approach is usually given the most weight. Plus some other reasons.)

Bert Craytor, SRA

I would disagree. I often deal with cap rates with 4, or even less. Those cap rates are market derived, and at that levels that also says that the income stream can't cover the mortgage.

The difference is in the funding source. And it is true not only on the commercial side, but the residential side as well.

CONSUMER

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I found a web site for a Union. unionofrealestateappraisers.com. New just started for obvious reasons

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
People that want appraiser unions or the rotation system IMHO are just plain lazy. They don't want to get out there and market themselves. Once they get their license/certificate, they believe the work should flow in.

TC

The Warrior Monk

Staff member
Professional Status
State
New York
It's hard to skirt around the subject's current and historical lease rates, unless it has recently had major renovation or poor management. There are also the comparable lease rates to establish market lease rates.

Regarding cap rates, there are published cap rates in publications and online services that can be used to check the appraisers estimate of market cap rates.

Not all markets are created equal. And that's what part of the fun about doing work that falls under the scope of practice of a GC.

Take an area where demand greatly exceeds supply, toss extremely wealthy buyers into the equation, and you get a market that isn't textbook. FWIW, I only use market derived cap rates. Published cap rates are useless for about 80% of the work I do.

There are some exceptions of course, - e.g. where the Sales Comparison Approach is given priority over other approaches, for example when residential use is the HBU rather than commercial.

Bert Craytor, SRA

I'm one of those appraisers that subscribes to the idea that the property rights being appraised dictates what approach will be used.

JENIFFERW

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
Just sent an e-mail to that union website asking about what they are doing...Will update this thread with their response when/if I get one. Website doesn't say too much. Looks like a work in progress, which I do applaud them for starting though. At least somebody is trying to do something besides complain.

JENIFFERW

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
People that want appraiser unions or the rotation system IMHO are just plain lazy. They don't want to get out there and market themselves. Once they get their license/certificate, they believe the work should flow in.

TC

People that generalize and criticize whole groups of people are mostly always wrong about many of them. It's sort of an ignorant trait IMHO.

Last edited:

TC

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
People that generalize and criticize whole groups of people are mostly always wrong about many of them. It's sort of an ignorant trait IMHO.

Whatever. Just how long have you been in the biz?

TC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks