• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Unlicensed Appraiser still in business

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra Kanakis

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Michigan
Back in April this year I posted how I became aware that my professional identity had been stolen. My digital signature was lifted and put on appraisals done by an unlicensed person. I did everything I should do - filed complaints with the FBI, city police, several state licensing boards, was in contact with Flagsar (where I originally caught the fraud), every thing. Now today I find out he's still at it. Another company has removed my name due to a fraudulent appraisal. And guess whose responsibility it is to make sure this guy never uses my name again? Right. Mine. How am I suppose to do that other than taking a picture of his dead body and sending to all concerned lenders that this guy will never write a fraudulent appraisal again. Of course I won't do that nor do I recommend doing it, but I'm allowed to have fantasies of justice. So I'm back on the phone today with the FBI, city police, writing emails back and forth with the lender, and then I called an attorney. I can't think of anything else to do than file a notice to cease and desist and then a lawsuit for damages. I'm also doing in person follow ups with the FBI and the police, and also called our state investigator. If the state doesn't do anything I'm thinking of filing a lawsuit against them too. Really. They're quick to jump on ants but won't go after big game. I just want this guy to stop writing bogus appraisals.
Here's his name: Carlo Hogan, Ovation Appraisal Group, 17617 Sunderland, Detroit 48219. He uses the address of 17942 Grandville, Detroit 48219 on his appraisals, but here's the good part, it's not a valid address. No such number!
To me, he's continuing to perpetrate fraud by his ongoing criminal activities. Will I get justice? It's up for grabs right now.
Let me know if anyone has done business with him or American Mortgage Decision.
Look forward to your responses.

Michigan CG

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Michigan
Do you have copies of the fraudulent reports? If not get them. Then see who the mortgage brokers are. You should be able to track him down that way.

hglenbetts

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Do you have copies of the fraudulent reports? If not get them. Then see who the mortgage brokers are. You should be able to track him down that way.

I'd bet my retirement (oh wait, I don't have one) that the fake appraiser is working WITH the mortgage broker to commit mortgage fraud. Who knows, they may even be related.

hglenbetts

Professional Status
State
Michigan
Sounds hokie, but call the local TV news shows, they all have their "problem solver" people that investigate this kind of stuff. They can tie it into the collapse of the housing market and point their camera at this guy. That might embarrass the State or law enforcement into doing something to help you out,

miktay

Professional Status
State
Texas
The Internet is a wealth of information.

I first tried zaba search, then intelius.com for Carlos Hogan in Michigan. Zaba had nothing but this is what intelius has (below).
Unfortunately, they will charge you $49.95 for the information, and who knows if it is any good.

This guy's a dirtbag. :new_snipersmilie:

Best wishes.

Background Report
for Carlo Hogan

LOCATIONS FOR CARLO HOGAN:3 Addresses in Detroit, MI3 Addresses in Kalamazoo, MI1 Address in Lansing, MI1 Address in Ann Arbor, MIRELATIVES OF CARLO HOGAN:Carloyn HoganCarlos HoganCOMPLETE REPORT INCLUDES (WHEN AVAILABLE):
  • Statewide Criminal Check
  • Bankruptcies & Liens
  • Address History
  • Neighbors
  • Neighborhood Info
  • Alias Names
  • Sex Offender Check
  • Small Claims & Judgements
  • Relatives & Associates
  • Home Value & Details
  • Satellite & Map Images
  • Much More...
[SIZE=-2](View Sample)[/SIZE] $49.95

Alexandra Kanakis

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Michigan
Yes, have the reports that I know of. Last spring I made up complete packages for all the agencies including a sample of my work (redacted) for comparison. Tomorrow, Monday, I plan on amending my complaint at all levels. I already called the FBI on Friday. I also have a call into an attorney for a cease and desist notification and a lawsuit. I really like Brian's idea of including the mortgage companies too. The only glitch being that most likely these mortgage BROKERS will not be in business anymore. But because I'm a decent computer investigator, I do have names, addresses, owned properties, phone numbers, etc, so we'll see where the trail leads to. I'm think $5 million dollars for a lawsuit. I doubt if any of the principles have that kind of money but what value does the ruin of my good name have over the course of years it will take to clear this up? I'm also thinking of adding the DLEG, Michigan's license enforcement division to the suit for lack of oversight and enforcement. I also am thinking lawsuit to the lenders who did not perform due diligence in their acceptance of fraudulent appraisals. There's a national appraiser registry but no addresses are included. But, I am all over the internet. You'd think with this mortgage fiasco we're in that they would dedicate a person or two to verify information in the mortgage package. Maybe the title companies? These fraudulent appraisals have an unincorporated appraisal company name, a bogus address (no such number) and a disconnected phone number on them!
I'm ready for a fight now. This guy has jumped over the line in the sand and if he thinks this middle aged woman is going to lie down and be his doormat, well, think again.

Ruben Ramon

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I would advise you that DLEG does not have the authority to pursue non licensed activity, that is for the attorney general or a local prosecutor to pursue that.

Flygirl 152

Professional Status
State
California
Sounds hokie, but call the local TV news shows, they all have their "problem solver" people that investigate this kind of stuff. They can tie it into the collapse of the housing market and point their camera at this guy. That might embarrass the State or law enforcement into doing something to help you out,

I agree with utilizing your local media. It worked wonders for me just last year when I was a victim of bait and switch by a company that sold me a product for my home. We had tried everything to get our problem resolved short of taking them to court. I called the news program that does investigative consumer complaint reporting, and they resolved my issue in 2 days. It was very gratifying. But because they are so back logged, it took them 2 months to respond to my complaint. I submitted the complaint to them by email, and they responded that a response from them usually takes 30 days, but it was longer for me. I thought they had forgotten about me, but sure enough they called, and the problem was resolved to my satisfaction.

What about calling that show America's Most Wanted. Maybe this person has a longer wrap sheet that what you know and has been committing other kinds of fraud. Find out if he is someone they are looking for.

I wish you luck in getting this resolved ASAP. Keep pursuing it aggressively, but don't do anything that could get yourself in trouble.

Mary Tiernan

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Michigan
I hope you have found a competent attorney who will handle this matter for you. Like Ruben said, contact the Attorney Generals in the areas where this fool did this . . . maybe call them every day until you get some action.

Save the news contact for when the AG won't do anything - keep notes of every contact you made, and ask the AG why they won't go after him, then call the news for a report.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New York
http://www.naag.org/attorneys_general.php

Michigan:Mike Cox (R)(517) 373-1110P.O.Box 30212, 525 W. Ottawa St., Lansing, MI 48909-0212
http://www.michigan.gov/ag

The Identity Theft Protection Act, MCL 445.61 et seq, protects a broad range of "personal identifying information" - information that can be used to specifically identify an individual. This act also expanded the definition of "identity theft." In Michigan, the crime of ID theft now includes the fraudulent use - or the attempted use - of personal identifying information of another person for the purpose of committing an illegal act. Personal information remains protected under this Act even after the person dies, so that criminals attempting to misuse information of a deceased person can be punished under this new law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks