• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Unpolitical Comments In Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Now that Trump is elected President, do you think we can be less politically correct in my report writings.
Stupid reviewers are asking questions about my comps. Throughout my career, I was careful not to see certain comments. I believed it was understood between me and the reviewers and we move on.
Now when reviewers are questioning in detail of my comps, I feel like I should tell them the way it. I want to say this comps is right across from the projects....public housing.....affordable housing.....multiunit buildings. This comp is on more littered street. These homes have more fenced front yards. And just because subject is in a low income area, certain parts are "safer" than other parts. How can I convey this to desk reviewer without the real facts?

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
You haven't figured out how to describe neighborhoods in an appraisal worthy manner? A new president doesn't' change anything re that's a skill for you to develop.

Phrases such as "A number of properties in the subdivision exhibit deferred maintenance" "The subject is across the street from a ten story multi unit apartment complex ." " Several buildings in immediate area are boarded up/abandoned"
Etc. Describe things accurately but in neutral terms

Fernando

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I'm not describing neighborhood. I want to describe comp in relation to proximity to the projects. Some projects are newer and safer. Other projects older and dirtier. Some you don't want to get out of your car.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
"Subject fronts to a large public housing project known as Jordan Downs." o_O

J Grant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
same way to describe a comp as a subject

You can leave out the word "project" perhaps? Say Comp B is near large public housing which is in disrepair whereas comp A near mid size public housing which is well maintained. Just use descriptive but non judgmental language to describe and convey what is there and then you can comment on any affect on value/marketability in the same manner depends why you are writing what you are writing....one presumes prices of comps reflects the surroundings .

Last edited:

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Now that Trump is elected President, do you think we can be less politically correct in my report writings.
Unfortunately or fortunately, WE cannot be more or less politically correct in your report writings.

Evincere

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
I'm not describing neighborhood. I want to describe comp in relation to proximity to the projects. Some projects are newer and safer. Other projects older and dirtier. Some you don't want to get out of your car.
Why are you using such dissimilar comps? I am positive that Trump has nothing to do with their selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks