• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Upgrade from Trainee to Certified General in CA using Dynasty School

Status
Not open for further replies.

kawinning

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
I want to work towards a certified general license. The dynasty school has an online program to do this that says it is approved in CA. Has anyone used this program? Is it IDECC approved?? The hours listed on the website per class are all lower then the minimum listed in the 2008 requirments book on OREA....is this a mistake?

Please help, I want to make sure that I dont waste my time and money!

I need to take online courses due to my schedule, does anyone know any good programs offering all the classes to upgrade?

Thanks for the help!

David Wimpelberg

Staff member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New York
I The hours listed on the website per class are all lower then the minimum listed in the 2008 requirments book on OREA....is this a mistake?

Maybe the classes meet the current requirements, and not the 01-01-2008 requirements?

I need to take online courses due to my schedule, does anyone know any good programs offering all the classes to upgrade?

I would check to see if your state allows qualifying courses to be taken online; many states do not. IMHO, if you are serious about becoming a GC, courses should be taken through the Appraisal Institute. In most cases, you'll come out being more knowledgable, as well as being more marketable.

Jason S

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
California
I took the Mckissock.com classes. I couldn't find anyone else that had approved classes for 2008.

All you need to do is ask the school if the classes are approved for 2008 regs.

Sgore1

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Tennessee
As a trainee, I looked at a variety of possible educational opportunities and decided that the AI classes were the way to go. They are expensive, especially if you have to travel, but they are comprehensive. If you should decide to seek a designation at a later date, you can be sure the classes will qualify, and though I haven't checked state by state, I'd be willing to bet they are approved in every state as qualifying education. Since you will likely have a long apprenticeship, perhaps you can work the classes into your schedule with some advance planning. I had to meet the 2007 CG trainee educational requirements in order to get a job, to demonstrate my commitment and educability I suppose, and have surpassed those requirements and still plan on taking two more AI classes in the coming year. Though I am unsure about trying for a designation, I will continue to seek the best education I can find, and for me the AI classes meet that bill. Good luck to you on your path.

Last edited:

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Here, here!

My first classes were taken locally through average providers. The difficulty was average, the cost was average - I received an average education.

My last four classes have been through the AI (including a general qualifying course) and I've learned soooooooooooo much more. They actually teach you how to develop a value opinion rather than read you a textbook.

Laughing Heir

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
I STRONGLY encourage all fellow trainees to take the H&BU and Residential Market Analysis through the AI.

You won't believe what you don't know until you know.

You'll laugh (or cry) the next time you see reports done by other firms that boilerplate the neighborhood portion of the forms and will probably be able to teach your supervisor a thing or two.
:new_multi:

Last edited:

Caligirl

Professional Status
State
California
I want to work towards a certified general license. The dynasty school has an online program to do this that says it is approved in CA. Has anyone used this program? Is it IDECC approved?? The hours listed on the website per class are all lower then the minimum listed in the 2008 requirments book on OREA....is this a mistake?

Please help, I want to make sure that I dont waste my time and money!

Thanks for the help!

You'll need to check with OREA or look on the website of approved courses to make sure they are approved.

I took their online advanced income capitalization course which I believe is part of this package. Decent course but not for beginners, or anyone who hasnt' done a lot of commercial work. I'd already taken a similar course from the AI before I signed up for this one. No one at the Dynasty School online or phone 'support' knows how to use the HP12C, so you're on your own if you don't already know the key strokes for discounted cash flows, etc.

Good luck.

bfriendly

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Georgia
As a trainee, I looked at a variety of possible educational opportunities and decided that the AI classes were the way to go. They are expensive, especially if you have to travel, but they are comprehensive. If you should decide to seek a designation at a later date, you can be sure the classes will qualify, and though I haven't checked state by state, I'd be willing to bet they are approved in every state as qualifying education. Since you will likely have a long apprenticeship, perhaps you can work the classes into your schedule with some advance planning. I had to meet the 2007 CG trainee educational requirements in order to get a job, to demonstrate my commitment and educability I suppose, and have surpassed those requirements and still plan on taking two more AI classes in the coming year. Though I am unsure about trying for a designation, I will continue to seek the best education I can find, and for me the AI classes meet that bill. Good luck to you on your path.

WELL SAID! I have never taken one of those specific classes, but I can tell you without a doubt that different schools give you different levels of education and training.
I recently changed schools and WOW!
I have learned as much since October '07 than I have DOING THIS for 6 years..........m2:
OK, so coincidentally, I also JOINED THIS FORUM then too.

Not afraid to admit this past Monday was the FIRST report I sent out with CONTRACT dates on the grid, instead of Closing dates; with one FSBO exception. Is that sad or what?

You really DON'T know what you Don't know!
Getting my CRA the way I did and LEARNING the things I did makes me even more proud of my little accomplishment.
Thanks to my classes, this forum and probably NOT changing any answers. A lot of which were answered with my GUT.
Thinking probable failure, I ended up with a 90%:clapping:

THANK YOU ALL for your HELP!

I am actually EXCITED to be taking the USPAP class before March '08.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks