• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Upgrading My Licenese and LOST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Veas53

Freshman Member
Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
California
Hey everyone,

I am currently getting prepared to upgrade my license to AL from AT with my 2000Hrs. I was licenesed before 2008 with the 90hr requirements, what do I need to upgrade. Do I need to take 75hrs more of classes or 150hrs? Appreciate any help!:Eyecrazy:

OSU Beavers

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oregon
Ask the State about your individual case.

Em Tee

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
From OREA's website:

For all initial license applications and upgrade applications received on or after January 1, 2008, applicants must meet all components (education, experience, and examination) of the new requirements.

Initial or upgrade applications received on or before December 31, 2007, will be reviewed based on current licensing requirements. However, if an examination is not taken until after January 1, 2008, the examination content will be based on 2008 criteria. Any deficient component of an application not completed prior to December 31, 2007, will be required to meet the 2008 new requirements. This pertains primarily to the education and examination components.

Otis Key

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
Hey everyone,

I am currently getting prepared to upgrade my license to AL from AT with my 2000Hrs.
Why, might I ask, would you even go to licensed when it's only a few more hours/experience credits to get certified? FWIW, I honestly believe the licensed appraisal aspect is on it's way out! Get certified (or certifiable).

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California
Why, might I ask, would you even go to licensed when it's only a few more hours/experience credits to get certified? FWIW, I honestly believe the licensed appraisal aspect is on it's way out! Get certified (or certifiable).

Maybe so he can make a few dollars while he's working on the certified level. Is that a good reason?

Trebor

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Oklahoma
Upgrading

Or maybe he is like me who lacks the formal education requiments.

Wayne Tomlinson

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
I think it is interesting that they provide a long list of specialty courses that you can take to quailfy, but you can also take two years at a JR college in anything and qualify.

Basket weaving anyone?

How about a degree in scrapbooking.

Wayne Tomlinson

Mike Phillips

Professional Status
State
Florida
I think it is interesting that they provide a long list of specialty courses that you can take to quailfy, but you can also take two years at a JR college in anything and qualify.

Basket weaving anyone?

Wayne Tomlinson

Not what I'd prefer, but, of course I take appraising more seriously than most. Fact is, I have one son who just started college and another who has spent 5 years in college and he still doesn't have a degree. The older one is taking some "time out." In fairness to him, he is in the Engineering program at a state university and the program is NOT a cakewalk.

Point is, due to the ages of my sons I have the oppotunity to observe many young people in the 18-25 age group. I've watched their progress since high school and I'm sorry to say many of them aren't progressing. I believe it is because young people are maturing at a later age these days.

So...any degree requirement works for me because any degree, basketweaving or scrapbooking, is (1) a real challenge for many of today's high school grads AND (2) it represents an investment.

I would have preferred an AA in a business related field, but I'll take what I can get.

Metamorphic

Professional Status
State
California

Basket weaving anyone?

Wayne Tomlinson

Little Story:

My first job out of college in my degree field. I was a little bit frustrated because I didn't feel like my education prepared me to do anything that they were expecting me to do on the job. I was talking to my supervisor, a very wise woman, who said "I was doing fine". She said that "they didn't expect me to know how to do all these things the job requred. She said that my degree did not represent a set of skills, but that it represented that I had the capacity to learn to do the things they needed me to do. "

Now, that's not to say that there are field of study more or less germane to appraisal practice, but only that getting a degree...finishing, following through, demonstrating the necessary intelectual capacity to pass, is a much larger qualification in the big scheme of things, than whether you were trained in a class room on the difference between a condo and pud.

George Hatch

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
California (as well as some other states) has a State Licensed Residential Appraiser level that allows an applicant to obtain a license with 2,000 hours and no other minimum waiting period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks