• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Upgrading Operating System

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
I'm finally considering upgrading my operating system from Windows 98 2nd Edition. I believe my options are Windows 2000 and XP. I was wondering what OS most Alamode users prefer.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Texas
Since buying a new computer with XP two years ago, I have never seen a blue screen and had very minor operating problems. XP is far superior to windows 98se.

Sean Braudrick

Sophomore Member
XP is a "pretty" sub-version of 2000. Both are incredibly stable (for a MS product anyway). XP is more easy to use, but seems to require more system overhead. If you're installing in on an older machine, may want to consider 2000 since it doesn't have all of the XP "bells & whistles"

Ghost Rider

Professional Status
Banking/Mortgage Industry
State
Connecticut
I miss my old Win 98SE - Ran lightning fast on my system, and was as stable as any other MS product "windows never crashes, it'll just hang and sit there for 3-5 years until it can get itself back up and running".......I never played with Win2000, but upgraded my laptop and Desktop systems to XP about 6 months ago if I remember.......A bit more solid, but my gawd, it runs sooooooooooo slowly. I have to routinely check my configsys to update the startup to keep 7 million things from loading in the backround.....I would GLADLY go back to my old Macintosh if I could do it work wise, but thats not an option these days.

My advice, if it ain't broke, don't fix it......There are no real advantages to XP over 98, except for the securty glitches that let the worms loose recently......98 does not have the same problems......Remember that!!!!!! The more "features" MS adds to its OS, the more problems it seems to cause!!!!!

JR Michaels

Freshman Member
Windows 2000 and Alamode do not get along. According to Alamode tech support they eat each other (No kidding!). I had an incredible amount of problems with that combination. XP has a lot of advantages over MS 2000, and I have had no problems of any kind since going to XP, but I also uninstalled Alamode at the same time which was just one large problem unto itself.

Tim Hicks (Texas)

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Texas
I have had no conflicts with Alamode or Windows XP with all the bells and whistles on both.

Steve Forstner

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I'm running XP pro on a 1.5 ghz system and have had no conflicts. This system is faster than my old 500 mhz running 98SE. I don't know if I would recommend anything short of 1 ghz for the alamode/xp combination, though. The two programs both require a lot of processor power.

If you update to XP, remember to turn on the firewall feature and enable auto updating for XP. There are an awful lot of updates out there to handle holes in the software, most people just never get them because they never think of it. With the auto updating feature turned on, I had all of the patches installed weeks before the the last worm attack.

Steve

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I am using XP pro and it is very stable. Running it on a 2 gighertz HP 761 c with a gig of memory. Very fast!

larryhaskell

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Nevada
We are working over the weekend to load Windows XP PRO but we are having a conflict between XP and Norton Anti virus 2003. Tech support hasn't offered much help. Wintotal will work if the Norton anti virus is disabled. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve the issue?

Steve Forstner

Professional Status
State
Michigan
I have had problems with McAffee's software working with others, but so far nothing with Norton. I would expect Norton would get it worked out though.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks