• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Urgent Help: Ca Trainee Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhencai

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I recently registered California trainee test. But on OREA's web site, I see only 3 tests are available: residential licensed, certified residential and certified general. There is no trainee test. Should I take residential license test? How many tests do I have to take to get residential license (assume I accumulate 2,000 hours experience)?

Thanks.
Zhen Cai

xmsdfafdn

Freshman Member
Yes, you just take the residential license test. Once you get your hours, then you can get your trainee license upgraded to a residential license.

Em Tee

Professional Status
State
California
You don't choose which test to take. Once you send in the Initial Application and Basic Education forms, they send you information on test dates & locations to take the Trainee test.

After you get your Trainee's License and accumulate your 2,000 hours of experience, you can apply to take the Residential License test.

zhencai

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Thank you guys for answering my question. I'm still confused. According to OREA http://www.orea.ca.gov/html/lic_reqmts.shtml, residential examination is required for both trainee and residential license. My supervisor told me that to upgrade to residential license, I don't need to take a test. So I think I should take residential test.

The confusing part is on the test center form, they want to choose between trainee test or residential test.

Any idea?

Thanks.
Zhen Cai

Em Tee

Professional Status
State
California
On the test center form, pick trainee.

Maybe your mentor is right about upgrading, but I'm still working on my 2,000 hours so I don't know yet about having to take a test to upgrade. I always assumed I would have to. I'd be happy if I didn't, but meanwhile it's probably something you don't have to worry about right now, huh? :yellowblack:

David Bodtcher

Professional Status
Appraiser Trainee
State
Utah
In California, Trainees take the residential license test BEFORE they receive their trainee license. When you accumulate your 2000 hours, you apply for the residential license status and do not retake the test: you took it to get your trainee license.

xmsdfafdn

Freshman Member
Look, if you can't figure out what's what by reading the OREA pamphlet, using common sense and having a certain background knowledge, your probably going to have problems with the test. But I guess that could be said about a lot things. I mean, someday you are going to be reading Fannie Mae or some such guidelines ... and trying to figure out from them whether you should do this or that. You can ask questions on the forum. But clearly you are not always going to get the correct answer, or you are going to get conflicting answers .... so in the end you had better be able to figure out things yourself - at least with a little help along the way.

zhencai

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
California
Look, with all due respect, I think what you said is just BS. Isn't the purpose of this forum to help people find answers?

And what so hard about the test? and you called 4-time harder broker test? Are they harder than calculus? Come on, give me a break.

Zhen Cai

xmsdfafdn

Freshman Member
That's what I meant by "a little help along the way". But when I read this thread, - and knowing the OREA pamphlet's content - I regard this problem as a signal of things to come and this thread a kind of microcosm of broader issues.

The OREA pamphlet is not clear on this point. When I first read it, I thought to myself that they had not done a very good job of being clear. I called up OREA to get an explanation. I got a somewhat ambiguous answer from OREA - but finally decided what they "probably" meant. Now, if I had asked for clarification on this issue in the Forum - you will see from the preceding responses that you will get clearly incorrect answers, some muddled ones and some very specific and clear ones. And when you read other threads in this forum, you find the same. So, in the end the appraiser can at best use the responses to build up his "background knowledge" to a sufficient level to solve the problem himself.

So, this little comment goes beyond simply answering the initial question of this thread - which has already been answered correctly a couple of times. That is, many of the guidelines and regulations appraisers have to deal with are just as muddled as the OREA testing requirements pamphlet of course.

xmsdfafdn

Freshman Member
Regarding Zhen Cai's comment that I said "This test is 4 times harder than the Broker's test". That is INCORRECT. I said the reverse. (And appraiser's should be able to read accurately, should they not? )The Broker's test is roughly about 4 times harder than the Appraiser's test. And further the Appraiser's test is 4 times harder than the Sales Agent test. My definition of "4 times harder" is that it takes 2-3 times longer to take the test. For example if you need 30 minutes to take the Sales Agent test (it's that easy), then maybe you need 1 hr 20 min to take the appraiser test and 5 hours for the brokers test (which is an all day test). Then the subject matter you need to study is maybe in about the same relationsship. You need 1 course for the Sales Agent Test, about 3 equivalent courses for the Appraiser's test and 8 courses for the Brokers exam. Put it all together and that's how I came up with the ratio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks