• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

Urgent Help Needed Re: Popups

Status
Not open for further replies.

Em Tee

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I'm having an awful problem with popups and don't know what to do. I'm hoping someone on here can give me some advice. It just started this weekend. Here's some info about my computer: I'm on a cable modem, have a popup killer program, ran a test to see if my computer was vulnerable from outside and it shows as being in stealth mode. Also ran a virus scan - nothing there. So I think I'm taking all necessary precautions with my system. However, I keep getting a popup from the same place: http://about:blank

I tried using Netscape instead of Internet Explorer, but IE keeps coming on with these popups. I've had probably 400 popups in the last 10 minutes. It's using all my system resources. I have no clue what this is or how to make it stop. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Mary

Bill_FL

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
It could be your ISP. Call you cable company and talk to them. I have noticed the same thing on mine. Seems like they must be allowing it for $$.

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
There are some free and low-cost pop-up blockers out there. I use Earthlink and they have a free pop-up blocker that knocks out 97% of them.

Roger

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Sounds like you have downloaded and installed a ad program of some type. My father in law had something similar happen. I don't remember how he found it but he had allowed some program to install from a web site with out realizing what he was doing and it sent ads like crazy. Its pretty easy to get tricked into it.

There are two programs that you might try. You will have to do a search to find them but one well known one is adaware. I have used it and it pretty good at finding hidden ad related stuff on you computer.

I just started using Spybot and I like it better. It might be a bit harder to use but it seems to do a better job. Both can be downloaded and used for free. Much like virus protection you have to update them regular.

Let me know what happens but I bet if you one of these you will find spyware or some type is at the bottom of your problem

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
You probably installed Gator or some similar spyware without realizing it. Go to:

http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/

Download Adaware and install it on your computer. Let it do a scan of your system and it will find all your "spyware" installed on your computer. Then make sure you let it remove all of the spyware it finds.

I'll bet this will stop your pop-up problem.

Em Tee

Professional Status
State
California
Thanks Jeff & Wayne. It appears I had lots of "spyware" which is now zapped! :sniper:

It's so wonderful to have a resource to turn to for all kinds of problems. This website is the greatest!!! :yellowblack:

Larry Lyke

It's not unlike today's ISPs and appraisal software vendors. You buy their product and then they turn around and sell you to their other customer.

I've had a similar problem.

Also, go to your "My Computer" and "Add/Remove Programs" and figure out which ones are stealth there. Some of these actually have installed their shortcut on your Desktop.

Some of the offers to erase your Net trail for free are really inviting you to let them figure out how to install popups to your computer and collect upit previous Net usage and sell it to themselves or other advertisers.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Also look for a program called "showbehind.exe" on your hard drive. Use the WIndows search function to see if you have acquired it while wandering on the web. It's the one that causes all those "under pops" that show up when you exit IE.

Ben

Tim The Enchanter

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
You buy their product and then they turn around and sell you to their other customer.

I've had a similar problem.

Also, go to your "My Computer" and "Add/Remove Programs" and figure out which ones are stealth there. Some of these actually have installed their shortcut on your Desktop.

Dirty bastiges! :twisted:

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Thanks Wayne and everybody! Turns out the culprit in my computer was that stinkin' Bonzi Buddy! I did a full scan and that was the only one that showed up :angry: Some kind of buddy that is! :angry: That buddy is history now! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks