• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Urgent! Trainee needs advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Suzanne K Hansen

Sophomore Member
I'm a brand new trainee. A job has come up and I'm not sure what the expectations should be on both sides.
-This trainee job seems to require that I have a lot of my own set up including access to MLS, software, camera, laser printer, color printer, fax,DSL, and any other equipment or softwareUrge necessary. Is this normal?

-Also, he lists turn around time requirements and I have no idea if they are realistic or not for a brand new trainee.
Full appraisal, 5 days
Drive-by appraisal, 4 days
Final inspection, 1 day
addenda w/ outside confirmation, 5 days
All other addenda, 3 days

-Are there expectations (in writing?) that I should have as to his contribution to my training and to my logging of training?

Thanks, SKH

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
I would think it is relatively normal to expect you to have your own office, phone, digital camera, scanner, fax, & pay for your own equipment, MLS access, etc. assuming you will be paid at least 50/50 once you have a few (6 mo. or so) appraisals under your belt.

5 days appears adequate for a full appraisal. Frankly, there is so little between a full and drive by, I see no real difference, but 4 days isn't that much for a garden variety dwelling. Anything that involves a geodesic home, log home, complex rural homeor mansion (1 million or so) might require more, but should be illiciting a much greater fee. I would say that the mentor should limit the number of appraisals you work on to 1 at a time until you are basically familiar with the report format he or she expects and you typing speed comes up to snuff.

Actually, if your mentor is reasonably apt, you should be able to crank out a cookie cutter appraisal in a day or so within weeks.

Final inspections should be easy to do in a couple of hours (plus driving time). All you do is measure the house, confirm that is was or was not completed to specs. Pull up the Comp certificate form, fill it out (all of 1 page unless FHA) And sign it.

If you can manage it gently, ask what he or she intends to bring to the table except an assignment and deadline. access to Old files?, data bases?

Frankly, I think that trainees are much underpaid, especially in the first year, and on the other hand, mentors are exposed to enormous liabilities. A mentor cannot catch every mistake a newbie will make.

After submitting reports to the state for examination, one of my subs found a mistake that I would not have caught. Another appraiser provided info regarding some sales and put them in the URAR grid. The appraiser transposed the sales price of Comp 1 to the intended comp which was Comp 2. The price diff was $4000 and affected the report none. Could you have caught it? Would a reviewer have caught it?

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Is this a real person or is this some off the wall AMC trying to get something really cheap?

If this is a real appraiser - you not only SHOULD have one-on-one, in person, on the job training, fully documented regarding what this will consist of, up front - with expectations like that for a brand new trainee in writing I would demand the training program be in writing also.

If this appraiser cannot take the necessary time to train you properly in person, don't go there.

Now, I'm moving this to the Newbie/Wannabe forum. Hopefully, others will also answer with their opinions.

Good Luck!!!

jtrotta

Don't know what experience you have (if any), but is there a "tag a long" period or did I miss that :?: If you buy what you need now, it will benefit you later on.

Good Luck

8)

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Terrell:
What do you mean by "Comp certificate" form? Do not use the 442 form for a Recertification of Value!!! Or does comp in this instance mean Completion?

Suzanne K Hansen

Sophomore Member
Thanks for your replies. I have little experience and I want to have a mentor who will be willing to give me some hints at least and some training at best. I've decided to keep looking and try to find someone who will let me practice out of the office rather than set up completely at home.

I have been perusing the newbie site and find it extremely useful. Thanks for your interest and your thoughts.

Jim Bartley

Professional Status
State
Virginia
Suzzanne,

It sounds like you are about to be thrown to the wolves. If you truly are a newby, you have no business with this kind of setup until you are thoroughly trained. This sounds like a boiler room operation with some guy signing off on a bunch of "trainees". Be careful.

Verne Hebert

Professional Status
State
Montana
I agree. It is very evident who was trained with a good foundation and who wasn't when looking at appraisal work from appraisers with less than 5 years experience.

Do not be hasty. Find a mentor who cares, and is available go you on every assignment............and I don't know how you could not work in the same office-although it is possible I guess, but the shoulder-to-shoulder stuff is invaluable.

I am reluctantly training someone now-said I would never do it again-but its a long story. He must be in the office 6 hours a day, around my schedule. On my complicated work, which most is, we work through the technical "stuff". Before he gets his first full assignment, he will be fairly strong in USPAP and the principals and will have seen many examples....and hopefully be able to ask the right questions 70 % of the time and know his limitations.

This quick turn time stuff on the front end, I don't think is good (Unless you are working in Vegas-I love to pick on the Vegas folks). EASY MONEY.

Expect at least this. Good luck to you.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
This is such a tough profession to get started in! I facilitate the registered appraisers course (75 hour prelicense) for a local real estate school. About 1/3rd of our students find work.

Ideally you should be able to find someone who is willing to train you. Don't expect the world to revolve around you and your schedule. Remember that person is taking on an added burden if they are willing to take you on.

I have trained 5 newbies over the past several years. All of them are active in the business except for one. None stayed with me after their two years of apprenticeship....something I knew going in. It is a trade off...for both parties. You get training, I get someone to take the load off my back.

It is not uncommon to require the trainee to purchase all their own equipment. Expect minimal income for the first year. Consider it an education....something that you are paying for that will, in the long run produce good benefits in the future.

I guess I can sum it up for you......we (the mentors) don't owe you anything. Our life won't change much if you don't make it in this business. If you are willing make the effort and pay the dues we might be willing to teach you what we know. Approach us with the attitude of "what can I do for you to make your life a little bit easier?"

I wish you well!

Frederick R. Ruffell

Professional Status
State
California
Suzanne, Although I cannot offer you a "job" you can tag along on my inspections here in San Diego if you wish, and if you would like to see how my home office is set up then feel free to ask. I am in South Park (golden hill) and cover everything from the border north to oceanside and east to Alpine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks