• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Usa Today Why Your Home Is A Lousy Investment When You Think It's Great

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
Our PITI is $800 - $1000 less than we would have to pay to rent a similar 3 bedroom house. Helps that we bought in 2010. I am glad to have it. Don't want everything invested in stocks and motorcycles. :whistle:

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
Buying your home and real estate is a no brainier. Borrowing money at 4% is a no brainer. I wish I can borrow a billion dollars at 4%.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
The home I'm in I had a choice of buying or renting. Since I wasn't sure of my sons plans at that time, I chose to rent. Since then, there have been over 15K in major repairs and not sure how much in minor. Also it needs updating badly, That said, to occupy this house has been much cheaper to rent than own. This house. But It also let me accumulate enough cash to almost pay cash for my "Last" house I'll probably buy this fall or whenever the market collapses again. I'll pay a little more for one with a new roof and recently replaced HVAC.

AMF13

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Renting can be the better choice, it depends. We stuck in a rental house for years through an insane RE bull market and huge crash.
But it allowed us to save money for that endangered thing, a 20% down payment.
Anyway, we think we bought low, next up, sell high. In due course of events and years.
The bones have been rolled. :D

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
I think of real estate as something you buy to own forever. When you buy a new house you rent out the old house.

A K

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Maryland
One of the biggest downsides with renting is that the landlord always try to jack up the rent. Then you are faced with the decision of sucking it up or moving. It's just not stable.

Tom Woolford

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
One of the biggest downsides with renting is that the landlord always try to jack up the rent. Then you are faced with the decision of sucking it up or moving. It's just not stable.

I've been lucky in that regard, only $50 in 8 years. But I do a lot of maintenance I don't bill them for and rarely call about a problem. I'm pretty much an "Ideal" tenant. :)

Restrain

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Florida
Our house payment is well below the rental cost, about half. At the same time, in the last meltdown, loans were made to people who couldn't afford to own a home and went in knowing it. Some people are just not geared to homeownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks