• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Use Of VA Appraiser Assistant?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Kennedy

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
New York
Use of VA Appraiser Assistant?
According to the AI's Appraisal Review, a Congressional House panel has passed a so-called "third-party" appraisal bill. The House Committee on Veterans Affairs on Oct. 12 passed letter to bill sponsors recommended a different approach. AI suggested that, instead of allowing third-party inspections, the VA should be more aggressive in recruiting appraisers to address timeliness issues. AI also recommended the legislation be tightened to "support the use of appraiser trainees over non-appraiser property inspectors, and for the program to be limited to its intent of dealing with rural appraisal situations."

A Brit in California

Professional Status
State
California
English please. Are they suggesting VA panel appraisers train more appraisers to become VA panel appraisers instead of pushing the use of a desktop (automated valuation report)?

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
English please. Are they suggesting VA panel appraisers train more appraisers to become VA panel appraisers instead of pushing the use of a desktop (automated valuation report)?

It is not as easy as it sounds. If I get 5 asignments for a 1 week period, about what I have requested and normally get each week, and in my RLC I have 10 business days not including week ends & holidays to complete the assignments, that sounds fairly simple. but, then I get a Liquidation with an absolute 5 day turn time under the same business day/holiday arrangement. And if I so 1-2 inspections a day, I should be able to stay on track. Ah! But then next week I get the same amount all over again. Any delay caused by a refi, or property not ready for inspection, and the pile up begins. That is what causes delays, and lenders who always believe they should be first. And, we are supposed to call within a couple of days to make contact and schedule when we can do the inspection. But, that gets caused by lack of knowledge of what the weather may be like 5-8 days from now. Therein lies the problem.

We do the best we can, but sometimes there will be delays. What i do is honestly let the lender, agents and VA know if there is going to be a delay and why. It will work OK on most assignments excpt for Liquidation. 5 days on a Liquidation is a drop dead time limit.

Maybe a few additional appraisers on the panel would help but I do not believe it would help much in many RLC's. Also, some RLC's have an even shorter turn time.

What would help would be better planning of loan closing expectations by lenders as t date, and time from order of VA appraisal until expected closing of the loan. But then, the appraiser could not be blamed.:cryingsmiley:

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
If your getting 5 assignments a week just VA they need to get more appraisers.

TRESinc

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
If your getting 5 assignments a week just VA they need to get more appraisers.

like most things related to real estate it depends on where you are. i no longer do VA work but the county to the south of me only has 3 appraisers on the VA panel, hardly enough for that area, and i know 2 of them personally. one of them only works 2 weeks a month and gets so many orders he has to take himself off rotation for the other 2 weeks. no one here wants to deal with all the hassles associated with VA work for the low-end fees they pay ($450 for SFR/condo).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks