• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Using a comp from the same owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRichmond

Freshman Member
This is a new one for me. I just appraised a house from a couple that goes around our area buying residential properties, living in them for 6 months, doing extensive renovations and then selling them for a nice profit.

This is the second one I have done in the last 4 months and the last one makes a great comp to the current one. I don't see a problem using the sold comp againts the subject, even if the same owner owned them both. Am I missing something? What do you folks think?

Thanks,
Mark

Mountain Man

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
As long as it was an arms length sale, is cash equivalent, or you adjusted for such conditions, I don't see a problem either. From the little bit of info you gave, it sounds like a perfectly legal, market sale of a rehab and sell deal.

Ken in Arkansas

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
As long as all data can be verified through other sources, I would not hesitate to use one comp. I would disclose to your Client that fact however, but I don't think that I would use more than one sold by the same person.

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
:lol: Would that I had such problems!

Sounds not only like a good comp, but probably the BEST comp if the other features were similar enough for your to use it anyway, it helps support the fact that the sellers have a track record for fairly good quality remodel/resale work!!!

And GRACEFULLY gets you into the discussion about "why my subject sold for 'X' then 'X+ a bunch more' a few months later"! :wink: :roll: :wink:

Works for me!

I see no impediment to useing the sale!

Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
I don't see any problem with this as long as you disclose it and the previous sale history of the subject and all the comps.

Lee SW IL

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Illinois
In new construction you would use two of the homes from the same builder. It goes with the quality of renovation.

But, I would explain. It gives your client the impression that you do thorough work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks