• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

USPAP question regarding license renewal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mutyger

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Missouri
If you take a National USPAP class then why is it that each individual state requires that class to be taken in that state for CE. I am certified in both MO & IL and both states require their own USPAP course to be taken in their state. I would understand it if the instructor would teach USPAP then go over local and state amendments that would also apply for that particular state or jurisdiction. I have taken several USPAP courses in both MO & IL through various course providers and none seem to apply it to the local or state level. I just find it redundant to have to take 2 USPAP courses to renew both of my licenses if the course is truly a national USPAP course. Please explain.

Stone

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Wisconsin
If you take a National USPAP class then why is it that each individual state requires that class to be taken in that state for CE. I am certified in both MO & IL and both states require their own USPAP course to be taken in their state. I would understand it if the instructor would teach USPAP then go over local and state amendments that would also apply for that particular state or jurisdiction. I have taken several USPAP courses in both MO & IL through various course providers and none seem to apply it to the local or state level. I just find it redundant to have to take 2 USPAP courses to renew both of my licenses if the course is truly a national USPAP course. Please explain.

I'm surprised that is the case. I believe I could take a course in a different state as long as it was approved (like any other type of course). I would have guessed the course provider would simply be required to submit it for approval.

Perhaps I'm wrong about that, however. Yeesh, two full days of the same USPAP course in the same cycle. I'd rather poke myself in the eye.

stefan olafson

Professional Status
State
North Dakota
The way the federal government set up this mess we call licensure is why you have to take the class in both states. The laws were written with national interests involved, then each state was directed to enact their own license law. These states can pick and choose which other states to allow reciprocity with. Apparently MO & IL don't have reciprocity.

Mutyger

Professional Status
State
Missouri
they have reciprocity w/each other and they will allow 2 courses to be taken in the other respective state. Just not USPAP which have to be taken in the state and from a live course.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
It is quite simply, a money making thing for the state. Any USPAP course taught by an AQB Certified USPAP Instructor should be acceptable in every state. Sadly, that is not the case as most states require that any course be submitted to the state, be state approved(for a fee) Instructor approved(for a fee) before that state will count the course. I am certified in virginia and North carolina. Thankfully North Carolina and Virginia have reciprocity so all I have to do is submit a letter in good standing along with my renewal in North Carolina. The letter from Virginia cost $25.00

I would suggest you bring this to the attention of the Foundation and the AQB. I would write John Brennan at [email protected]

Maybe if TAF has enough complaints they will address the issue with the states. BTW, Virginia is one of the few states that does not require prior approval of any course, course provider or instructor for CE courses. When you submit any course that was at least 2 hours long and complies with the course content as noted in state regulations, you will get credit for the course.

H

Hall McClenahan

I have not had that issue, I just use an approved provider by both of the States I held licenses in.

I do not have a Federal License, I have two State issued Licenses. I support both States in oversight and wish they were able to do more.

In fact this year neither required proof that I had actually taken the courses for renewal. All they asked was did I have the required hours and I checked a box on the renewal form. I had to verify that the continuing education I had taken met the requirements.

I have the Certificates and the print out of the published approval list for the last two years in a file ready should they choose to audit me. Each state has the required and approved courses first with the non-approved courses in the back. I have several classes that were not approved by one or the other and a couple that were not approved by either included in the file. I just keep the course outline, objectives, and a copy of my notes attached. No biggie!

I have had no problems, yet. :)

Thomas Fiehler

Professional Status
State
Ohio
When I take my updated USPAP, they are good in both OH and KY.

Otis Key

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
New Mexico
That seems to be state specific - If I take USPAP in TX or OK or AZ - it's approved here. I'd go to the state board and start asking questions there.

ZZGAMAZZ

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
I completed an OREA/TAF-approved 7-hour National USPAP update in February of 2008 and was given the 2006 version.

(Not even a fee adjustment for changing market conditions...)

Brad Ellis

Professional Status
State
California
zz,

I taught one here in February and it was the new material not the old. The new materials are usually ready before the year begins so there is no excuse for an instructor not having the new stuff.

Wonder if you got a poor instructor who did not download the new materials???? If yes, please turn him/them into the state.

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks