• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

USPAP Renewal Course

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
I just completed "2006 National USPAP Update," OREA Course Approval No 07346C11, provided by R.E.T. in Santa Ana.

I plan to incorporate these 7 hours of education into the 56 mandatory hours required to renew my AL license.

I posted about this on the general Forum and was told by virtually everybody that the 2006 course has been replaced by the 2008 course.

Any comments from informed Californians? :shrug:

USPAP Compliant

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
It appears you are making up 2 years of CE that you missed. Is that correct?
You need 28 hours for a previous 2 year cycle and another 28 hours for the current cycle?

Caligirl

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
When you say 'new requirements' are you referring to the 2007 renewal rules? Or have there been add'l changes I don't know about?

The '2006 USPAP'. I don't understand. Do you mean you are taking the 7-hour course to satisfy the 2-year requirement (ie., you needed it in 2006), or, do you mean you took a course on USPAP, per 2006.

Last edited:

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
I just completed "2006 National USPAP Update," OREA Course Approval No 07346C11, provided by R.E.T. in Santa Ana.

I plan to incorporate these 7 hours of education into the 56 mandatory hours required to renew my AL license.

I posted about this on the general Forum and was told by virtually everybody that the 2006 course has been replaced by the 2008 course.

Any comments from informed Californians? :shrug:
USPAP 2008 became effective January 1, 2008. I took it in December 2007 from George Hatch.

I have no idea whether you can use it for the renewal or not, however, it seems reasonable that you could.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
The course certificate of completion says "2006 National USPAP Update." I took/completed the course in February 2008. My AL license expires in 2008 and the Renewal Notice from OREA says "A minimum of 56 hours of continuing education....is required." I previously completed a course in February of 2006 with a TAF certificate of completion for "7 Hour USPSP Course." I presume that the course I took is appropriate or the RET counsel would not have registered me, being aware of my intentions. Now I'm trying to figure out why I attended the "2006" rather than the "2008" course, and why the "2006" course is still offered if it is no longer pertinent...

Randolph Kinney

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
North Carolina
The course certificate of completion says "2006 National USPAP Update." I took/completed the course in February 2008. My AL license expires in 2008 and the Renewal Notice from OREA says "A minimum of 56 hours of continuing education....is required." I previously completed a course in February of 2006 with a TAF certificate of completion for "7 Hour USPSP Course." I presume that the course I took is appropriate or the RET counsel would not have registered me, being aware of my intentions. Now I'm trying to figure out why I attended the "2006" rather than the "2008" course, and why the "2006" course is still offered if it is no longer pertinent...
You might have a problem, if I understand you. You have taken 2 USPAP 2006 update courses? I would think that OREA would count one for renewal. I am not sure if they would count the other as CE but they might.

ZZGAMAZZ

Professional Status
State
California
Just so others will know: Per the course provider, a (any) USPAP course is required every 2 years. The USPAP course I completed in 2006 pertained to 2004-2006, and the course I completed this week pertained to 2006-2008. A more current course isn't offered by this provider and they are unaware of a more current version.

I'll keep the AF updated in case this info proves to be incorrect.

p.s. Unfortuanately I was unable to attend the course that Mr. Hatch taught earlier in the year.

alex gilbert

Professional Status
State
California
the course I completed this week pertained to 2006-2008. A more current course isn't offered by this provider and they are unaware of a more current version.
:Eyecrazy:

As has been pointed out, the 2008-2009 version of USPAP went into effect 1/1/08 and will be effective until 12/31/2009. The USPAP Update course material has been available since late '07 and I've taught the current update course twice since the 1st of the year. If you really took 2006 Update course this month you should ask for your money back, or get credit to take the '08 Update for free when they finally get around to offering it.

IMHO - you'll get a lot more out of taking this course live than on the computer. Yes, it's a long day and, yes, the material is dry and bit boring. But being able to have someone break down the language and explain the meaning and intent of the different rules can really help bring USPAP into focus. Plus the ability to ask real world questions about how USPAP applies to your day to day work and share those experiences with other appraisers is something you just can't get on-line. This is one class I'd encourage taking live vs on-line.

Mike Boyd

Elite Member
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
California
I just completed the 2008 update course offered by McKissock. Check with your provider as they may have made a mistake on your certificate.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
And Arizona appraisers (and any one that wants to join us) will be very fortunate February 28th when Danny Wiley will be the instructor for the 2008-2009 USPAP update seminar in Mesa, AZ. Interested? contact me at j m s t r a t t o n @ a z n e x . n e t for a registration form.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks