• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

USPAP Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason Snider

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Florida
Hey everybody this is my first post, I am a Residential Trainee Appraiser and am up for certification in 6 months. My question is, I was wondering how everyone gets their updates for USPAP when rules change?

Thanks

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Jason,

Welcome to the forum!

IMHO you are not ready to go out on your own.

Welcome again.

Sincerely

p.s. I waited five years before I went out on my own. I dont consider myself to be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but I am certainly not the tupperware spatula either. I am glad I waited.

Jo Ann Meyer Stratton

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Arizona
I agree, you won't be ready to go out on your own for several years--you need the day to day or hour to hour of working with a mentor.

But right now you could start attending chapter meetings of a professional organization. Go the the NAIFA and AI websites and locate a local chapter. Attend both if both are available, find one that you feel welcome and comfortable with. Attend their residential seminars that might be available in your area. Join this chat room and the chat rooms for the NAIFA and AI. The more exposure you have to experience appraisers the better!

http://www.naifa.com

http://www.appraisalinstitute.org

http://www.appraisalfoundation.org

Become very familiar with those websites----read, read, read, read!

Richard Carlsen

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Michigan
Jason

Your situation reminds me of when I took flying lessons. I couldn't wait to take the test for my private pilots license. When the time came and I took it, I passed it with flying colors. The first time I flew as a licensed private pilot, I realized how much I did not know.

You'll be in the same position when you take your test(and pass it). At that point, legally you'll be able to "fly on your own" and quite frankly, sometimes you won't know what the hell you are doing.

But don't let that stop you. You won't grow unless you face challenges and learn how to handle them. You will become wiser as you learn to quickly recognize what you don't know and either decline the work or dig into the resources to learn what you need to know. Knowing is not just having the knowledge in your head. It is knowing where to get the information that you need.

Consider this a business decision. If you can survive on 2 to 3 orders a week (full fee), have confidence in your ability to "sell yourself" to the clients who need those 2-3 reports per week and have the wherewithal to produce a clean, competent report, go for it.

If you cannot survive on that much with no prospects of setting up some good clientèle, stay in the womb and pretend that what is happening is that the person you are working for is feeding you valuable information and growing you to become a very competent appraiser.

This business is meant for the single or small partnership appraiser shop and the person who wants to learn and grow. I was let go on a Friday because of a disagreement with my "mentor" on how independent an independent contractor can be. On Monday I filed my DBA. On Tuesday I got my first two orders. That was 5 years ago. Last year I did over 500 appraisals.

It's up to you. You decide because only you know what you are capable of doing. If you can, do it. If you can't, be content to do splits for someone else.

I don't believe in luck so I'll just say choose wisely and honestly. Your future is in your own hands.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
All good points...I would add (should you do go on your own) develop a relationship with a local appraiser that you can "run stuff by".

We formed a local group (Colorado Association of Real Estate Appraisers - CAREA). Started out as 6 people who needed a support group. We would meet for lunch and discuss various problems we came up against. It has grown to nearly 200 members now and we meet every other month. The Board of Real Estate Appraisers has approved us for continuing education credits for our meetings and training sessions. Perhaps you have such a group in your area, if not, start one.

Jo Ann listed the Appraisal Foundation's website. This is where you can get updated on a regular basis. Lastly, use this forum. You can probably find out almost anything here. Lots of talent and experience available and the best part is..."it's free".

Richard....do you remember your first solo landing? Probably the best I ever made, from there it was all down hill! :rofl:

I live close to the airport and watch airplanes coming in and going out all day long. Keep thinking I need to go get a physical and get current again...as if I had the time. Sure miss my TR182...that was a good airplane.

Jason Snider

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
State
Florida
Thanks so much to those who replied, I really appreciate your thoughts and time you put into your responses. I have been browsing this board for that last 2 days and I love it! I have been looking for a website like this out there for some time now and am completely surprised how active this site is with experienced appraisers. :D Ive already found answers to questions Ive had. Thanks again

Jason Snider

Carnivore

Elite Member
Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Your welcome Jason,

I hope you took the time to read tha appraisers petition and maybe considered signing it.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks