• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

USPAP Violation?

Joe Flacco

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Maryland
Uhm, actually benchmark is the word...assessors have to live by different parameters. Still relevant as a benchmark...way different rules and data sets.
It is irrelevant for anything other than how much taxes the owner needs to pay. It is no benchmark for anything.

Mr Rex

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
North Carolina
Uhm, actually benchmark is the word...assessors have to live by different parameters. Still relevant as a benchmark...way different rules and data sets.
Here its a maximum of 8 years of data, but can be more up to date. 8 or 4 is the standard. I'd guess the assessors that run "current" data and update annually are less than 5% of the 100 counties in NC. I have met the Assessors in the one county that I am aware of that does "current" values in a CE class in the past. Interesting perspective, overkill IMHO but a fast growing county can afford to stay on top of their tax revenue. I'm sure they were quick to reduce taxes and RE values in 2009....

andrew81

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Illinois
my earlier comment was from the perspective of IF (as-if, hypothetically) the appraiser is not acting as an appraiser. i was quick to assume that hypothetical conditions were understood by the appraiser community. obviously they are not, therefore, my regular assumption is actually an extraordinary assumption. this is why USPAP requires the identification of HCs and EAs.

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Ethics issue. The person (if truthful) has the work file and a report. SOOO, no violation of Std 1 or 2 if otherwise "good"...but disclosing information from an appraisal is clearly an ethics issue.

djd09

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
my porridge is too cold.. :shrug:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
It is irrelevant for anything other than how much taxes the owner needs to pay. It is no benchmark for anything.
It's a benchmark. If the appraiser states the property is "less than" the enrolled value he has communicated an appraisal. Whether or not there is a USPAP issue depends on several factors.

Gobears81

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Illinois
It sounds to me like this appraiser was actually being diligent.
An appraiser can express a value as a range, and he or she did by saying that their appraised value was way more than the assessed value (ie value range disclosed as >> assessed value). They were using information that wasn't available to the general public, as well. Not to mention that they used dialogue that drew their appraiser hat on, rather than as a member of the public.

If the assessor was the appraiser's client, then it would be different, but the scope of work might be different in that case also (ie information that the appraiser is privy to). This is a clear breach of the confidentiality rule IMO. Not to mention that as a business practice, abysmal.

It's a benchmark. If the appraiser states the property is "less than" the enrolled value he has communicated an appraisal. Whether or not there is a USPAP issue depends on several factors.
Just read through the thread again and realized that I basically copied yours and Zephyrs comments - my mistake

Last edited:

CANative

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
An appraiser can express a value as a range, and he or she did by saying that their appraised value was way more than the assessed value (ie value range disclosed as >> assessed value). They were using information that wasn't available to the general public, as well. Not to mention that they used dialogue that drew their appraiser hat on, rather than as a member of the public.

If the assessor was the appraiser's client, then it would be different, but the scope of work might be different in that case also (ie information that the appraiser is privy to). This is a clear breach of the confidentiality rule IMO. Not to mention that as a business practice, abysmal.

Just read through the thread again and realized that I basically copied yours and Zephyrs comments - my mistake
We're just on the same page for this chapter.

FWIW, between 2010 and 2014 I did this 10 times per day, 5 days a week. But I was not acting in the role of an appraiser.

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
There is nothing more irrelevant than the assessed value.
Now that is a stupid statement. Property tax is based on the assessor's assessed value, so I guess it is relevant to the homeowner.

Last edited:
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks