• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

VA and PDF Copycat Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBlueGA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Georgia
Does anybody on the VA fee panel have any experience with any of the free PDF software? I am trying to put together an entire suite of applications to help cut our licensing costs and would like to dump Adobe Acrobat also, however I'm not sure if VA will accept appraisals created with the copycat PDF creators since they require the digital signature...

Dan Leggett

Professional Status
State
Mississippi
I'm not sure I'm completely following you on this one. When I submit appraisals to VA my digital signature is applied by my appraisal software, not my PDF writer. If the PDF file can be read by Adobe Acrobat it should be OK.

Ted Martin

Professional Status
State
Kansas
There are two signatures the one that goes on the bottom of the report and the other one secures the file from changes.

Brandon, does the alternate program you are looking at have a way to lock the file?

Farm Gal

Elite Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Nebraska
HUD REO contractors now require that any files sent to them be secured through the PDF program.. in addition to any signature on teh original report....

Not sure about HUD primary lending or VA.

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
All VA says is.......in a .pdf format. The sigs are part of the appraisal software, not pdf.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
State
New Jersey
Brandon,

Ages ago, there was an email program called Posta by Tumbleweed software. If you installed Posta, you got Adobe PDF writer (not distiller) for free. It used to be on cnet for download but it is no longer supported or offered by Tumbleweed. If you can find someone with the POSTA download file, you get all the copies of PDF writer you'll ever need for free. Just install the demo on every computer. There are no serial numbers to mess with. Dumb move on their part. Once you install the demo software, the PDF writer shows up on the computer as one of the printers. I never used Posta but I was sure happy to see the free PDF writer way back when I was experimenting with PDF. I still have the exe installation file but it's around 3 megs and not really emailable. I don't know how I could get it to you other than mailing a zip disk??? Plus, Distiller creates much smaller files than Writer so I don't know if you would want to mess with Writer.

Ben

BigBlueGA

Professional Status
State
Georgia
That's something I never really thought about.. we've been doing all of our EDI in Distiller because of the filesize efficiency and also because Writer destroys the PCX logos on some of the forms.. guess I need to make sure that one of the PDF writers available can compete with that...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks