• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA And The Use Of MLS Photos Vs. Appraiser Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kitarkus

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Kansas
I am working on a tough assignment and would like to utilize an OLD (2 year old) sale which I had not considered at the time of inspection. Will VA allow the use of a file photo (from MLS) or must I drive the 40 miles round trip to obtain a photograph of this property?

I don't see anything specifically about this in the handbook.

As always, I appreciate your assistance!

Kit

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
I am working on a tough assignment and would like to utilize an OLD (2 year old) sale which I had not considered at the time of inspection. Will VA allow the use of a file photo (from MLS) or must I drive the 40 miles round trip to obtain a photograph of this property?

I don't see anything specifically about this in the handbook.

As always, I appreciate your assistance!

Kit
Have you "inspected" this property from at least the street, after the sale date, for appraisal purposes?

Kitarkus

Professional Status
State
Kansas
Have you "inspected" this property from at least the street, after the sale date, for appraisal purposes?

Nope....(car starting now)

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
Nope....(car starting now)

I use a MLS Photo once in awhile. Usually as a result of a blurred photo from my camera.

Here is what the Handbook states...Section B8 VA Handbook. ."Computer generated pictures are acceptable, if they are of comparable quality to original photographs. Copies of multiple listing sevice or advertising pictures are acceptable for the comparables(but not for the subject) if they clearly depict the property." Remember, VA requirements may be different from Fannie and HUD requirements. This is from the VA Handbook.

GA Benny

Professional Status
State
Georgia
Per Circular 26-17-5:

d. Acceptable photographs include original, clear, and illustrative images. Copies of photographs from a multiple listing service or other source are only acceptable with an explanation why original photos were not available, e.g. gated communities where access may require trespassing to photograph, etc.

BRCJR

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Virginia
I use a MLS Photo once in awhile. Usually as a result of a blurred photo from my camera.

Here is what the Handbook states...Section B8 VA Handbook. ."Computer generated pictures are acceptable, if they are of comparable quality to original photographs. Copies of multiple listing sevice or advertising pictures are acceptable for the comparables(but not for the subject) if they clearly depict the property." Remember, VA requirements may be different from Fannie and HUD requirements. This is from the VA Handbook.
You drove the comparable sales and in the OP case has not or had not at time of post.

KenAZ

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Dom. Republic
Per Circular 26-17-5:

d. Acceptable photographs include original, clear, and illustrative images. Copies of photographs from a multiple listing service or other source are only acceptable with an explanation why original photos were not available, e.g. gated communities where access may require trespassing to photograph, etc.
The Phoenix handbook states no MLS photos, unless the subject is in a gated community or if there is another good reason. This has to be explained separately for each instance an MLS photo is used.

Is this a recent Circular that was released countrywide?

gregb

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
California
The Phoenix handbook states no MLS photos, unless the subject is in a gated community or if there is another good reason. This has to be explained separately for each instance an MLS photo is used.

Is this a recent Circular that was released countrywide?

https://www.docmagic.com/compliance/regulatory-announcements/VA-circ-26-11-21

JTip

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Inspect from the street (because the signed certification says you DID), take a blurry, crappy photo, put it in the report along with the MLS photo. Disclose, submit, cash check.

Ethics man, ethics.....

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
The issue isn't the picture...it's whether or not you observed the comparable sale from at least the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks