• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

Forum Sponsor - a la mode

QuickSource provides a single-source solution to easily import, compare, and manage data from multiple, credible sources in every report. See what the next game-changer is really all about.

VA Appraiser Needs Ie Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Ok, ready to go bald over this one. A VA appraiser friend of mine, (yea, yea in spite of all my evil VA appraiser roster posts, I do have VA appraiser friends) can not send email via IE and Outlook Express in Windows 98. The email address and password are correct. The email protocols are correct for the Pop and smtp servers. Everytime you click on send, it can't find the server for either incoming or outgoing email. The error code is basically the one that says the server names are not correct but they are as I've verified his account with Comcast and they say it's working.

I've scanned for viruses, I've repaired IE 6. I've unistalled IE 6. I've reinstalled IE6. I'v gone back to IE 5.5. I can log on to his ISP homepage and send and receive email there using his email address and password. The Comcast guy has come out and pronouced that their end is OK and the problem is in the computer which it has to be because I can read his email on my computer using his email address and password.

Any ideas besides reformatting and reinstalling everything????

Ben

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado
Try emptying the folders. I cannot send anything if I have more than 10 megs on the server.

Jeff Horton

Professional Status
State
Alabama
Uninstalling doesn't take everything (all files) off of the computer. Some files are left behind and stuff is left in the registry. Thats why a reformat almost always works.

Two suggestions and I am not sure you can do the first one. Reinstall it and put it in a different folder if it will let you instead of the default. I don't remember if you have that option when installing but if so it's worth a try.

One other thing is try another email program. Netscape, Mozilla, Eudora. See if they work.

Unless you have the program set to leave a copy of the mail on the server the default is to remove mail every time you down load.

Charlotte Dixon

Professional Status
State
Delaware
Originally posted by Ben Vukicevich@SRA,May 12 2003, 07:34 PM
Ok, ready to go bald over this one. A VA appraiser friend of mine, (yea, yea in spite of all my evil VA appraiser roster posts, I do have VA appraiser friends) can not send email via IE and Outlook Express in Windows 98.
Ben...Always glad to help another V.A. appraiser....and Jersey guy :D

I'll have to agree with Mike....Try emptying the folders, if you haven't already. That worked for me when I had that kind of problem.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Since it is a problem sending mail it has nothing to do with his mail box being full or anything like that. And since he can receive mail the program works and reinstalling it would not help. So...

1. On the Outlook Express menu bar have him click click on "tools", then "accounts", then highlight his account and click the properties button. Click the servers tab and make sure for the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) he has: smtp.comcast.net

If it isn't that change it to that, problem should be solved (unless the local comcast office has another smtp setting, this is what it says on their website at comcast.com )

If it still don't work also do this:

2. On the Outlook Express menu bar have him click click on "tools", then "accounts", then highlight his account and click the properties button. Click the servers tab and at the bottom under "Outgoing mail server" check the "my server requires authorization box". Then click the "settings" button and use "log on using" and then for account name put his COMPLETE email address and his password.

3. If that don't work then check "use same settings as my incoming server" after clicking the "settings" button as described in #2 above.

If it still don't work then have him copy and paste the exact error message and either send it to me or post it on the forum and we'll help!

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
Wayne, I had the same problem and called MSN. They informed me that all emails were stored on their servers and not on my computer. Some quirk with outlook express. It is limited to 10 megs. So if you have sent emails totaling 10 megs nothing will go thru the server til you clear those folders. Once I deleted my sent emails everything worked fine.

Head Surfer

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Professional Status
Retired Appraiser
State
Florida
Mike,

Yes the email is stored on the server UNTIL you check your email then it is erased from the server and stored on your computer. You can look on your computer for files ending in .dbx. These are your Outlook Express email files. That is the case unless you have changed the default setting in Outlook Express and told it to leave a copy on the server - NOT A GOOD IDEA because your account will be shut down once the quota is reached.

Since he can receive emails just fine, then his mail box can not be overloaded because by receiving emails he is deleting them from the server and storing them on his computer. If he couldn't receive emails then then I could see how it could possibly be a problem.

Also the error message received indicates the server settings are wrong. If I had the exact error message I could tell them exactly what to do. Since I offer hosting I have had to walk people through setting up their email clients a lot and have to tell them step by step how to do it and we can always get it to work.

Ben Vukicevich SRA

Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
New Jersey
Wayne,

I should have been more specific. He can not send or receive. I went through all of the procedures that you have recommended. Initially, I had Comcast on the phone and we deleted/removed the POP and SMTP server names and started over with a fresh ID but nothing worked. I know the server names are correct because they are the same ones I use at Comcast. Since my friend is off the VA panel due to a back injury, he hasn't needed email. As soon as I get a chance, I'll mess around with it again and try your recommendations of :check the "my server requires authorization box". Then click the "settings" button and use "log on using" and then for account name put his COMPLETE email address and his password.

3. If that don't work then check "use same settings as my incoming server" after clicking the "settings" button as described in #2 above.

Thanks for everyone's input. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Ben

Rene Mata

Freshman Member
The best way to know if you have the right configuration for your email is to ping your mail server.

Go to your dos prompt and write

ping smtp.comcast.net (if this is your mail server )

and if you got a response then you are alright, if none,
then your configuration with your IE may be wrong.

Situation happen that the other end could see your connection, but you cannot see them because of some
gateway router or wrong server configuration from your side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks