• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA Appraiser On My Listing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Virginia
said all exterior peeling paint on a home built in 79 must be remediated no matter how minor. (i disagree and even read the appraiser chapter and verse from the field manual) also, some caulk around a tub is insufficient and needs repair and some exterior trim should be replaced. exterior just repainted.. after the 7th or 8th item i said arent these cosmetic? the answer was no so we'll see. not a fan so far and i think these are mostly cosmetic and dont pose a hazard of degrading the homes structure. this is going to be a fun punch out list!

Terrel L. Shields

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Arkansas
Appraisal on your house?

glenn walker

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
California
Gee I wonder why he didn't call for a Radon Test :)

Dublin ohio

Professional Status
Licensed Appraiser
State
Ohio
some exterior trim should be replaced. exterior just repainted

Any explanation on why the trim needs replaced. If the exterior was just painted. Why is there peeling paint?

Reactions: Eli

A Brit in California

Professional Status
State
California
All rotted wood, whether interior or exterior must be replaced.
Any chipping, cracking, scaling, peeling or loose paint is considered to be a defective paint condition. All defective paint must be corrected no matter how old the house is.
Seems pretty straightforward.
Now if they say the toilet paper roll needs to be replaced....I'd be writing the appraiser gods.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
All rotted wood, whether interior or exterior must be replaced.
Any chipping, cracking, scaling, peeling or loose paint is considered to be a defective paint condition. All defective paint must be corrected no matter how old the house is.
Seems pretty straightforward.
Now if they say the toilet paper roll needs to be replaced....I'd be writing the appraiser gods.

thats not what my field manual states:

For homes built after 1977, require correction on exterior surfaces only if the defect appears
to be sufficient to cause deterioration if left untreated (i.e. a violation of VA Minimum
Property Requirements). Otherwise; the defect may be considered as cosmetic and
considered in the analysis for condition.
Interior paint on houses built after 1977 should be considered a cosmetic issue.

A Brit in California

Professional Status
State
California
No lender (or guarantor)...VA, USDA, FHA, Conventional, Uncle Bob, etc., in this day and age in their right mind would make a loan on a house with defective paint. Why? Little kids love to taste things and eat things they shouldn't. Here comes Baby Billy and he see's the cracking and scaling paint. He puts it in his mouth and eats its. Baby Billy gets really sick or perhaps even dies. Homeowner sues everyone because of the defective paint. We live in a litigious society. Most people just correct the paint.

A Brit in California

Professional Status
State
California
thats not what my field manual states:

For homes built after 1977, require correction on exterior surfaces only if the defect appears
to be sufficient to cause deterioration if left untreated (i.e. a violation of VA Minimum
Property Requirements). Otherwise; the defect may be considered as cosmetic and
considered in the analysis for condition.
Interior paint on houses built after 1977 should be considered a cosmetic issue.
Well...that's what mine states. All defective paint and rotted wood must be corrected. It's the same for VA, FHA and USDA. Most conventional lenders are doing the same these days.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
No lender (or guarantor)...VA, USDA, FHA, Conventional, Uncle Bob, etc., in this day and age in their right mind would make a loan on a house with defective paint. Why? Little kids love to taste things and eat things they shouldn't. Here comes Baby Billy and he see's the cracking and scaling paint. He puts it in his mouth and eats its. Baby Billy gets really sick or perhaps even dies. Homeowner sues everyone because of the defective paint. We live in a litigious society. Most people just correct the paint.

my home was built in 1979 not 1977 or earlier! who conditions minor paint with no threat of structural damage except this certain appraiser? the appraiser told me how deathly slow they were, seems to be a $150 final inspection grab to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks