• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA appraisers need to go back every 30 days and review the notes screen.

Scott R.

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
California
You are so wrong and have no clue what you are talking about. Just to name a few

So when you initiate the VA Tidewater Initiative you don't place a note in the portal?
How about appraisal cancellations?
When the appraisal observation scheduled?
When there is a delay in completing the appraisal report?
Any delays caused by borrower/lender
No sales contract provided with the appraisal assignment?
No contact information provided to schedule appraisal observation?
Any STIP requested by the lender?

Lastly, VA Pamphlet 26-7 - Appraiser Timeliness requires appraisers to place a note in the portal: "The appraiser MUST place notes in WBLGY to inform the lender of any delays" or "Appraisers MUST make contact to schedule an appointment within two business day of receiving an assignment, DOCUMENTING the activity in WEBLGY"

What is even more amazing, appraisers that won't write a simple note in the VA portal. but will tell you to document, document, document everything in the appraisal addendum.
Agree with everything you mention. My Notes Section always has a lot of comments I make. I think what they were referencing might be up to 30 days after the NOV is issued. The Notes Section probably is not looked at much afterwards. The SAR throws notes in there....all the while the appraiser is on to his/her next dozen not knowing the SAR might have put ridiculous notes in there.

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I think what they were referencing might be up to 30 days after the NOV is issued.
Not too hard to interpret what was said;

"The notes section is the elephant graveyard. The VA staff don't look at it and the lenders aren't notified when our notes are entered. It's wasted space."

Last edited:

Dean

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
The notes section is the elephant graveyard. The VA staff don't look at it and the lenders aren't notified when our notes are entered. Its wasted space. If there is an issue that comes up later a reviewer would email directly and contact you for comments...They wouldn't look to notes for 1 of a million random things that might come up to see if you addressed a random SAR comment that was posted in the order well after it was submitted? Paranoia self destroya or so the song says..They are fair and will want to hear your take if needed. Wasting time nitpicking a SAR's nitpicking is a juice not worth the squeeze.
I guess the VA do look at it, just got a negative work letter for being one day late with my notes on the appointment

Dean

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I agree with keeping an eye on the portal. Many SAR's are just not trained well, and i have found a bunch of false notes. The best one was "Appraiser did not use any manufactured home comps " but yet they still issued the NOV. I used 5 comps, and all were clearly marked as manufactured homes.

1963Christophe

Sophomore Member
Professional Status
Gvmt Agency, FNMA, HUD, VA etc.
State
Texas
Nobody cares! They deal mostly with LSAM results which is another flawed program. When you are a VA appraiser you can't decline difficult assignments, so there will always be reports that don't fit into the square pegs they want all appraisals to fit. So, there will always be some underwriter who expects it to be wedged into the square pegs anyway.

The VA hasn't used CoreLogic's LSAM report since April 14th, 2020...

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
You are so wrong and have no clue what you are talking about. Just to name a few

So when you initiate the VA Tidewater Initiative you don't place a note in the portal?
How about appraisal cancellations?
When the appraisal observation scheduled?
When there is a delay in completing the appraisal report?
Any delays caused by borrower/lender
No sales contract provided with the appraisal assignment?
No contact information provided to schedule appraisal observation?
Any STIP requested by the lender?

Lastly, VA Pamphlet 26-7 - Appraiser Timeliness requires appraisers to place a note in the portal: "The appraiser MUST place notes in WBLGY to inform the lender of any delays" or "Appraisers MUST make contact to schedule an appointment within two business day of receiving an assignment, DOCUMENTING the activity in WEBLGY"

What is even more amazing, appraisers that won't write a simple note in the VA portal. but will tell you to document, document, document everything in the appraisal addendum.
Thanks for the amazing input. Did you read the post/thread? No one said to never enter a note but very few are ridiculous enough to add commentary without being asked to up to 30 days after a report is sent? Do you think the SAR that left a note you don't like goes back days later and comments on your comments, checking it "just to make sure" you didn't say anything that makes them look bad? You guys could become pen pals and debate a minor zoning issue for months in the "notes" section, no one would read it except you two, the VA wouldn't know or care. Meanwhile the loan closed months ago but you still are commenting on comments in an order. Love it.

Yes, smart guy, you are supposed to update the system with notes of who you contacted for the inspection, when the inspection is, if a Tidewater notice was sent, etc. Its for documentation if someone has to look into it but these notes aren't viewed like an email is. The lender/VA doesn't even get an auto notification when notes are entered. This is why if you need a contract or to send a Tidewater you have to email the POC directly. If all you do is input notes for things you need from the lender it will never get responded to. Most lenders/POC's have a header in their email asking you to email them for anything you need for contact as they never get notifications from the notes or check the notes. If issues come up later the VA may go back and look through notes to make sure you did what you were supposed to.

The original thread/post is about someone checking notes 30 days after you submit a report and responding to SAR comments, not about never leaving a note...Be as goofy as you need to be. :mad2:

Mike Garrett RAA

Elite Member
Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Colorado
I was recently told VA reviewers ALWAYS read the notes...especially if the appraiser doesn't include a note as to when they called to set the appraisal inspection appointment. After27 years on the panel I really don't get too excited about what the SAR might post. Maybe SARs should have to be licensed and certified too. Ya think?

Scott R.

Professional Status
State
California
I was recently told VA reviewers ALWAYS read the notes...especially if the appraiser doesn't include a note as to when they called to set the appraisal inspection appointment. After27 years on the panel I really don't get too excited about what the SAR might post. Maybe SARs should have to be licensed and certified too. Ya think?
I've been on the panel a long time as well. Some SAR's do call themselves "certified". I asked once what that meant. She said it was an hour long class at her company.

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
Thanks for the amazing input. Did you read the post/thread? No one said to never enter a note but very few are ridiculous enough to add commentary without being asked to up to 30 days after a report is sent? Do you think the SAR that left a note you don't like goes back days later and comments on your comments, checking it "just to make sure" you didn't say anything that makes them look bad? You guys could become pen pals and debate a minor zoning issue for months in the "notes" section, no one would read it except you two, the VA wouldn't know or care. Meanwhile the loan closed months ago but you still are commenting on comments in an order. Love it.

Yes, smart guy, you are supposed to update the system with notes of who you contacted for the inspection, when the inspection is, if a Tidewater notice was sent, etc. Its for documentation if someone has to look into it but these notes aren't viewed like an email is. The lender/VA doesn't even get an auto notification when notes are entered. This is why if you need a contract or to send a Tidewater you have to email the POC directly. If all you do is input notes for things you need from the lender it will never get responded to. Most lenders/POC's have a header in their email asking you to email them for anything you need for contact as they never get notifications from the notes or check the notes. If issues come up later the VA may go back and look through notes to make sure you did what you were supposed to.

The original thread/post is about someone checking notes 30 days after you submit a report and responding to SAR comments, not about never leaving a note...Be as goofy as you need to be. :mad2:
You are so welcome. These are your words not mine; "The notes section is the elephant graveyard. The VA staff don't look at it and the lenders aren't notified when our notes are entered." Looks like you are changing your tune, "you are supposed to update the system with notes of who you contacted for the inspection, when the inspection is, if a Tidewater notice was sent, etc. What happened to the graveyard and VA staff never read the notes? Just own it.:mad2:

Last edited:

fritzvogel

Professional Status
State
New York
It is a bit scary how much control the SARS seem to think they have in a transaction. It's sad that they never leave their office to inspect anything.
No REAL WORLD experience of what we see daily. What they CALL FOR is sometimes so insane in some markets I wonder how much training and $$$ they get to be a SAR.
My last SAR on a very basic/simple report asked for photo's of the inside of a 10 X 12" shed????? I've never done that in 35 years. Do they want the year & make of the lawnmower?

Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks