• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA Duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ariba

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Colorado

Last edited:

Confident Rabbit

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
Can I have a little more?

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
To be considered a duplex must it have two separate legal descriptions and have separate property tax assessments? In other words, if a house has a legal "mother in-law" with separate outside entry in the basement should it be considered a duplex or is it an accessory unit? 1004 or 1025 Form?

Confident Rabbit

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Washington
In my market, a duplex is usually on one lot with one legal description and one tax bill. Are there two electric meters? Are the above and below grade areas similar in size? Does zoning permit multi-family? If so, I would consider it a duplex, and report it on the 1025. If there is interior access between the two levels, I would consider it an SFR with a mother-in-law quarters in the basement. I've never had the occasion to call a setup as you've described an accessory unit.

I hope that helps.

Good luck

Ariba

Professional Status
State
Colorado
I know appraiser are not building inspectors, however when I called the building department they told me in order to be considered a duplex they need to have separate source of heat, electrical panel, and gas meters. In this case being a basement unit it also needs to have an exterior access and have egress window.

The only condition the subject meets is an exterior entrance. We will see how the listing agent is going to react since it was marketed as a duplex. In addition, the county has not issued any building permits for the basement unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks