• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA Final Inspection Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

KenAZ

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
Certified General Appraiser
State
Dom. Republic
I have a reviewer friend that received a VA 1004D on a completed new home. She told me that only 2 exterior photios were provided. She has been searching to see where it says that interior photos are required by the VA. I remember ge4tting an email a few years ago.

Anyone know where the photo requirement for finals is located?

CindyR

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
seems to me the issue is whether the interior was finished in the original appraisal. if the report was subject to some interior completion items then certainly the final should include photos of those interior features. the point of the photos is to show that something that was not complete before is complete now.

KenAZ

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Dom. Republic
seems to me the issue is whether the interior was finished in the original appraisal. if the report was subject to some interior completion items then certainly the final should include photos of those interior features. the point of the photos is to show that something that was not complete before is complete now.
All of what you said is what a reasonable appraiser would do.

In this case, the appraiser refused to take interior photos and is stating that there is no VA requirement to take interiors on a New Home final inspection (Plans and Specs)

the reviewer needs to find a written statement that VA requires these oh9tos so she can make the appraiser do it.

Dean

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://www.benefits.VA.gov/HOMELOANS/documents/circulars/26_14_8.pdf

KenAZ

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Dom. Republic

Dean

Professional Status
State
Tennessee
Nice circular, but it still does not clearly state what photos are required on a new construction. It just states photos of completed items are required. The appraiser is arguing that he took a photo of the completed home.
"completed items". If the interior was not completed at the time of the initial inspection, then it would be completed at the time of the reinspect. Sounds to me like he probably couldnt get inside when he went back and is trying to cover his *** by saying interior photos are not required. A quick call or email to the RLC would clear it right up.

KYLECODY

Professional Status
State
Arizona
Sounds like the original appraiser doesn't want to be on the VA Panel for long if he/she refuses to take simple, interior pictures.

Digger88

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
i was doing a final years ago on a new home with off site sales and my subject was all locked up. i simply pushed up on the rear sgd and and it popped right open. 700k townhome.

KenAZ

Gold Supporting Member
Professional Status
State
Dom. Republic
I think she found it. VA Circular 26-17-05 seems to cover it.
3. Photograph Requirements for VA appraisals
.a. Interior photographs are required for all VA appraisals except when exterior only appraisals
are permitted (certain liquidation appraisals when authorized by the Regional Loan Center of
jurisdiction) and should include the following
:
(1) The kitchen.
(2) All bathrooms.
(3) Main living area.
(4) Examples of physical deterioration, if present.
(5) Examples of recent updates, such as restoration, remodeling, and renovation, if present.
b. Exterior photographs should include photographs showing the front view, rear view
(preferably including a different side view in each photograph), and street scene of the subject
property. The front view of each comparable sale is also required. The subject and all
comparable sales must be appropriately identified and include photographs of any
improvement, site feature, or view affecting value

Marty Boone

Professional Status
State
Pennsylvania
Why would an appraiser sign off on a 1004D plans and specs without viewing and photographing the interior? My policy for finals on new construction requires that my point of contact emails me with a statement that the subject has been or will be 100% completed and confirms the final inspection date & time. I have shown up way to many times to find a long punch list, missing appliances, painters on-site etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks