• Welcome to AppraisersForum.com, the premier online  community for the discussion of real estate appraisal. Register a free account to be able to post and unlock additional forums and features.

VA Final - Now Needs More Repairs

Status
Not open for further replies.

CindyR

Professional Status
Certified Residential Appraiser
State
Arizona
Just wondering how other folks might have handled this situation. Here is summary version.

Tuesday – request for VA final. Need by thursday so vet can close on friday.

Wednesday – confirm access – now on combo lock box. Visit property – all outside paint and repairs complete but no access to inside. Can't find lockbox. Walk all the way around again – no lockbox. Check front door to see if lockbox is hiding behind security screen and realize that is the problem. Doorknob is missing from security screen and it is still locked. Someone stole doorknob and lockbox.

Thursday – return to property with new locks and MLS lockbox. Both inside repairs are complete.

But something doesn't seem right. No showerhead in masterbath. I did not list that as a required repair. Did I miss that? How could I miss that? As i'm walking out I notice electric wires dangling from the ceiling by the front door. Did I miss that? How could I miss that? Return home to check pictures and confirm showerhead and light fixture were there a month ago.

How to proceed? Your thoughts?

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I would mark Yes on the 1004d, but state that there are new MPR required repairs that were found after the original appraisal report was submitted. Let the underwriter decide what to do.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
I would mark Yes on the 1004d, but state that there are new MPR required repairs that were found after the original appraisal report was submitted. Let the underwriter decide what to do.

I would require the repairs. Period. And, charge for a 2nd final.

Riick

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Delaware
Agent at one (expensive) house I did, noted that it was in foreclosure because of a nasty divorce.
She mentioned that I'd find missing sconces, missing stained glass, missing door knobs, missing etc.
Seems every time she showed the property, something else was missing, and no signs of forced entry, either.
Now *how* could that be happening... unless one (both?) of the owners.... ?

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
I would require the repairs. Period. And, charge for a 2nd final.
What does it say in the Certification Of Completion section of the 1004d?

HAVE THE IMPROVEMENTS BEEN COMPLETED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS STATED IN THE ORIGINAL APPRAISAL REPORT:

I would think if those items noted in the original appraisal report have been completed in accordance with the requirements and conditions stated in the original appraisal report, then "Yes" should be checked in that section of the 1004d. As I stated before, I would then state there are new MPR required repairs that were found after the original appraisal report was submitted.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
What does it say in the Certification Of Completion section of the 1004d?

HAVE THE IMPROVEMENTS BEEN COMPLETED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS STATED IN THE ORIGINAL APPRAISAL REPORT:

I would think if those items noted in the original appraisal report have been completed in accordance with the requirements and conditions stated in the original appraisal report, then "Yes" should be checked in that section of the 1004d. As I stated before, I would then state there are new MPR required repairs that were found after the original appraisal report was submitted.
VA requires that all repairs be complete at the time of the final inspection.

A Brit in California

Professional Status
State
California
This has not happened in all my years doing VA work but if it did happen to me, I'd call the good people at the VA office and ask them how to proceed. Exposed electrical wires could be a health and safety issue for the Buyer.

RSW

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Tennessee
VA requires that all repairs be complete at the time of the final inspection.

I understand that. But, what you are saying to do is in contradiction to the wording in the 1004d. Now, if you don't use the 1004d than I agree with what you are saying.

Don Clark

Elite Member
Professional Status
State
Virginia
This has not happened in all my years doing VA work but if it did happen to me, I'd call the good people at the VA office and ask them how to proceed. Exposed electrical wires could be a health and safety issue for the Buyer.
Why call them? It has to be 100% complete on the final inspection to meet VA MPR's. This is not rocket science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Find a Real Estate Appraiser - Enter Zip Code

Copyright © 2000-, AppraisersForum.com, All Rights Reserved
AppraisersForum.com is proudly hosted by the folks at
AppraiserSites.com

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks